We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Hi,

I'm encountering a very serious bug with MODx gallery. I'm using the latest version of gallery 1.5.2 and MODx 2.0.8 installed on MODx cloud.

Whenever i go in and try to change the order of an image in an existing album, dragging and dropping it onto another one, the operation appears to work (the images change order) and i can save the album just fine.

The problem is that after the page refreshes, the images are back to their old order.

This means that if my client wants to change the order of the images in an album, the only solution is to delete and then re-upload all the images and their descriptions. This is a huge problem.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
    • Just want to bring this up again, since i'm still having the problem and i haven't found any solution.
      Can nobody help?
        • 436 Posts
        I've encountered such problems before. May I ask how many images you have in a gallery?

I've found that it's often the last 3 or 4 images that refuse to save the positions after a re-order. A work around is to drag and drop them in reverse order, e.g. Drag the image you want last into fourth from last position. Second to last image on top of that (pushing the previous image to third from last place). Wanted third from last on top of that one (again to fourth from last place, pushing the previous 2 to the right). Wanted fourth from last image on top of that one, thus pushing the desired last image into last place.

I have no idea why this works when dragging directly to the positions you want wont. The solution sounds odd, but when I encounter this problem, for me and others I've made Gallery sites for and shown this work around to, it (dragging in reverse order) works 100% of the time when image orders won't save. [ed. note: absent42 last edited this post 10 years, 7 months ago.]
        • Thanks Dan, but this doesn't really fix the issue. The fact that I haven't even gotten a reply from one of the MODx team or the module creator to this serious issue in almost 2 weeks is very worrying and also telling of a broader issue.

I'm giving up at this point and looking for a different solution.

• I'm having this problem, too. I'll let you know if I find a solution...

My environment:

MODX 2.2.14
            shared linux hosting
            PHP 5.3.28
            MySQL 5.1.73
            Gallery 1.6.1
              • 177 Posts
              Me too, I had this on 1 gallery
              changing the sort order by dragging in the admin does not get saved. Sometimes it actually works, but usually not.

Looking at the dom_gallery_album_items table the rank figure didn't seem to update and many of the images have the same rank - maybe that is something to do with the issue?

i.e the images rank looks like this:
              27 28 28 28 28 28
              you drag the second image (rank 28) into position 4, but as the other images surrounding it all have the same rank then it would not make any difference

Just guessing here

Turned out that out of 12 galleries, only 1 had this problem.
              I manually selected the records for that gallery using phpmyadmin and manually added the rank from 1 to 25
              After doing that now it seems to work OK!

MODX 2.2.14
              shared linux hosting
              PHP 5.3.28
              MySQL 5.6.17
              Gallery 1.6.1