We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    I'm testing out ModX Revo and like it so far. While testing, I decided to try adding a new user that would have Content Editor access. I've went through the steps found on http://rtfm.modx.com/ and when that didn't work, I looked through the forum and found this - http://forums.modx.com/thread/14455/create-a-new-user-with-manager-access-permission-in-modx-revolution. That didn't work either. I've tried a number of different things that I've found all across the internet, but nothing works.

When I try to sign in as my test Editor User, I put in the username and password and press login and absolutely NOTHING happens. I don't get an error or any kind of message. Just the page reloads itself and I'm still at the login page. Yes, I can login under my admin account. Just not under my test Editor account.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    • In your Content Editor user group, check the Context Access tab and make sure you have an entry for the mgr context. If you don't see one listed, use the 'Add Context' button setting the fields to this:

Context: mgr
      Access Policy: Content Editor
      Minimum Role: Member (9999)

Save and then try logging in as your editor user again. (You may want to also try the Flush Permissions option under the Security top menu item.)
        Garry Nutting
        Senior Developer
        MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
        Twitter: @garryn
        Web: modx.com
        • 2 Posts
        Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work, but I tried a couple of different things and I finally was able to log in with my Editor account. I'm not sure exactly how I did it, but I finally was able to do it.
          • 1,118 Posts
          You need to make sure your new user group has a MANAGER context policy - otherwise, they wont be able to login.
            • 1 Posts
            I installed MODX Revolution 2.6.2-pl as a new installation.
            Then I created a new user which belongs to the User Group "Member (9999)".
            This user could not log in into the "/manager" login page (Error: access denied).

Then I added the
            "Context: mgr" - "Access Policy: Content Editor" - "Minimum Role: Member (9999)"
            from your post and it worked. The new user now can log in.

I think to help new users of modx this entry should be added in the database when installing modx.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Member is the lowest possible authority level. Generally, you don't want people at that level in the Manager. Anyone who has login credentials, (even for the front end), has that authority.

Usually, people who need to access the Manager are put in a separate user group with a higher role (lower authority number) like Content Editor.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting