We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 47 Posts
    I am wondering if anyone can help me here. I moved a ModX site to a new server and the Articles add-on stopped working. At first I got a white screen when I clicked on an articles container in the manager.

I removed and reinstalled Articles, and now I can add articles in the manager but they don't show up on the front-end. I can see that the template is loading fine, but the [[+articles]] tag is empty.

I've tried searching around the web for a solution but haven't found any. Any advice?

Thanks
      • 47 Posts
      Okay, I solved the problem. Apparently I had removed and reinstalled some but not all of the packages Articles uses. After doing this, the blog articles page works.

Problem is now, when I click on the title of a post, it takes me to the article rendered in plain text, no HTML at all (I checked View Source). I suspect this has to do with Friendly URLs (the URL is www.mysite.com/articles.html/(date)/(of)/(article).

I'll keep looking, but if anyone knows what the problem is, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks Again smiley
        • 24,544 Posts
        It sounds like either the proper Template or the CSS file isn't loading (more likely the Template). If you're not seeing a DOCTYPE, head, and body tags in View Source, it's using an empty template. Maybe the template named in the Articles config didn't make the move or its name has changed (or the config setting was lost).

If that's the case, try this:

Right-click on the blog container and select "Manage Articles".

On the "Templates" tab, switch the two top drop-downs to something else, then switch them back and click on the "Save" button.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 47 Posts
          I tried changing, changing back, and re-saving the articles template, but it didn't fix the problem. The page is still showing up as just the article content. One thing I did notice is that it is including the TinyMCE opening and closing <p> tags. Not sure what the problem is.

Thanks in Advance
            • 24,544 Posts
            Do you see head and body tags when you do View Source?
              My MODX Extras
              • 47 Posts
              Quote from: BobRay at Jul 31, 2013, 06:57 PM
              Do you see head and body tags when you do View Source?
              No, just the opening and closing p tags
                • 24,544 Posts
                That definitely points to a problem with the Article template.

Try deleting all files in the core/cache directory in case you're seeing the old version.

Turn off the compress_js and compress_css System Settings if they're not off already.

Look at the Article template you selected to make sure it's not blank.

My MODX Extras
                  • 47 Posts
                  Tried those changes before realizing the problem. When I clicked on the individual articles, I noticed that sample.ArticleTemplate was not set under "Article Options". For some reason this was affecting new articles as well. Set that back and it works. Thanks for your assistance!
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for reporting back. smiley
                      My MODX Extras
                      • 1 Posts
                      I know this post is from a while ago - but I just wondered what other packages Articles needs to run, as I am experiencing a similar issue.

Articles is functioning correctly in all areas, except the [[+articles]] tag is empty on the front end of the site.

Latest posts and other references are working correctly....any advice?