We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 81 Posts
    Greetings community,

I have "re-launched" the Discuss development with blessing of Ryan Thrash from MODX. The latest version is pending in queue for package manager and should fix variety of bugs and has loads of performance improvements.

I have not read this forum that much yet. So those who might have some bug feature which is not reported. Please report them to http://tracker.modx.com/projects/discuss/ as that is the easiest place for me to find them. I do not have right to close tickets for now, but quite many of them are actually patched with the latest release and more are coming on daily basis. If the issue is directly related to ttyl please post issue to http://tracker.modx.com/projects/discuss-skin and if not sure. Just post it to first tracker, I will check it then.

Regarding of modxcms/discuss github. If you consider forking, please use development branch as base of new features/patches/bugfixes. The release and develop branches are now up to date with each other. I try to update the develop as often as I can and got something to update to it. In next weeks there will be most likely 1.2.1 available when I go through of the major/minor bugs that are most annoying for users.
      • 10 Posts
      Hello dunnock!

Thank you for this extra. I am going to use Discuss at my website. The general design of the forum is great and the forum has all major functions.

I like Discuss in general, but I have some questions:

When the 1.2 version will be available? I still see 1.1.1-pl using Package Management.

Could you please pay some attention to making the forum faster? I tested 1.1.1-pl at MODX Cloud using [^t^]. The average time was 0.5-0.7 The forum was almost empty and I was the only guy who browsed it.
        • 81 Posts
        Hi Ivan, the main things what I did for 1.2 were SQL optimizations. With simple DOS attacks with 3 consecutive users I was able to lift queries per second over 8.5 times faster. And actually had only one consecutive connection open with initial tests where the 8.5 times faster was done with 3 consecutive connections doing DOS on it. And those were just easy tests, in general. The performance optimizations are huge. Like 'mark all read' literally takes seconds anymore even you would have 150k unread threads. (Obviously server performance has huge factor in it)

You can get 1.2.1 clone 1.2.1-pl from https://github.com/modxcms/Discuss (it has transport package under _packages/

The 1.2.1 will take a while to install if you have big forum. Also could be beneficial to run core/components/discuss/includes/fix.maps-closures.php if you have loads of boards. It fixes board maps and closures in the database. This should have been in the transport package but with certain servers the upgrade might die to rebuild of few tables which can take a while.

When packages will be available in package manager? No idea, could be then when we get ttyl updated. But I try to push team MODX to publish the package. It was designed to be fix for here but obviously the same bugs get fixed in the main package also.
          • 10 Posts
          I have just installed 1.2 version and compared with 1.1. The difference in speed is great. 1.2 version is really faster than previous.

dunnock, could you please answer my question. The default login extra for Discuss is Login. Official guide tells that I have to add hooks for proper authorization.

Make sure in your Login call that you specify the following as pre and post hooks:
          &preHooks=`preHook.DiscussLogin`
          &postHooks=`postHook.DiscussLogin`

But what if I do not want to use Login extra for authorization? I am going to use HybridAuth extra only. I want my users to login using their Facebook accounts. HybridAuth does not support hooks. I tried HybridAuth + Discuss and it seems it works but I am not sure that everything works as it should. Are these hooks really important?
            • 24,544 Posts
            @dunnock. Great news. I'm glad to see Discuss getting some love. I've create some work for you at the tracker. wink

Is this forum updated to reflect your changes (so we can close issues that are confirmed as fixed)?
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 81 Posts
              @Ivan I have to look into it. Second of the hooks actually is used only on first login. It creates duplicate of the user to discuss tables plus other stuff in there. This will change by 1.3 (so most likely by end of August). The discuss user table is quite crucial overall for things to function properly, this is unfortunate thing. 1.2 was prioritized (not originally but for me) to increase the performance. Even there are loads of queries to fine tune, it works more solid now.

@BobRay not yet. What I understood that MODx team is under heavy load right now. First need to run tests on staging server as the upgrade does go through tables quite lot which can cause downtime or more likely downtime is preferred. You'll notice the change when it comes smiley As then the counters at top work with page refreshes and like the "mark all read" will reset the counter straight away. Also the view unread posts will be lot faster than it is now.

I'll keep things rolling and work in co-operation with Ryan Thrash to improve things here and make the site faster.
                • 24,544 Posts
                Sounds good, though accuracy is more important to me than speed. wink

I think some of the trouble on the numbers may caused by leaving the browser open and coming back hours later to refresh the page.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 10 Posts
                  Hello dunnock!

I have to look into it. Second of the hooks actually is used only on first login. It creates duplicate of the user to discuss tables plus other stuff in there. This will change by 1.3 (so most likely by end of August).

Could you please tell me about 1.3 version?
                  Will it be released soon or not?

• 81 Posts
                    Hi Ivan,

There could be small delay to it.

I do have the disUser mostly done to support modx user table, just refining save() methods etc... for it. There are right now more major issues unfortunately. Shall open new thread regarding that in moment.