We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 44 Posts
    I have a problem similar to the one documented by Mark Ernst here: http://forums.modx.com/thread/28646/solved-connector-site-id-replaced-by-siteid?page=1. The difference is, in my case, I'm trying to access the connector through the "web" context, and it seems that such requests get rejected out-of-hand with a 401 response by connectors/index.php. The application is an intranet site, where security is only a minimal concern. Is there a simple way to set this up so that any and all AJAX requests to the core by logged-in users will be permitted? [ed. note: javadecaf last edited this post 10 years, 9 months ago.]
      • 24,544 Posts
      You might try giving anonymous users (maybe all user groups)'load' permission for the web context and/or mgr context if they don't have it already.

Here's the relevant code in connectors/index.php:

/* initialize the proper context */
      $ctx = isset($_REQUEST['ctx']) && !empty($_REQUEST['ctx']) ? $_REQUEST['ctx'] : 'mgr';
      $modx->initialize($ctx);

if (defined('MODX_REQP') && MODX_REQP === false) {
      } else if (!is_object($modx->context) || !$modx->context->checkPolicy('load')) {
          header("Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8");
          header('HTTP/1.1 401 Not Authorized');
          echo $modx->toJSON(array(
              'success' => false,
              'code' => 401,
          ));
          @session_write_close();
          die();
      }

You could also try just removing this piece of code from the index.php file:

|| !$modx->context->checkPolicy('load')

It might be useful to put this code as the third line and see what context is being initialized when the 401 occurs:

echo 'CONTEXT: ' . $ctx;
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 44 Posts
        Thanks for the input, Bob. I was hoping to avoid hacking the core, but it may yet come to that. I believe that it's the "mgr" context that's being initialized on AJAX requests, because when I log into the manager, the solution Shawn proposed in the above-referenced thread works. (I haven't pursued "echo"-ing the context yet to confirm this, beyond finding out there was no obvious way to extract it from the JSON output.) The odd thing is, if I'm correct about the manager context being initialized, it doesn't help for the logged-in user to be authorized for the manager; the user must be actually logged into the manager for it to work.

In any case, you've given me some ideas for testing, which I'll follow up on tomorrow.
          • 24,544 Posts
          I'm glad you're making progress. BTW, I wasn't suggesting permanently hacking the core -- just temporarily putting in some diagnostic code that might help find another way to solve it.

I agree that it's probably the 'mgr' context (that's the default), but it would be nice to know for sure. The fact that the user has to be logged in for it to work is why I suggested giving load permission to the Anonymous group in a Context Access ACL entry. Anyone who is not logged in is automatically a member of that group, so most permission checks will work whether they are logged in or not.
            My MODX Extras
            • 44 Posts
            It turned out that the problem was indeed that the manager context was being initialized by default. Rather than try to remember to include a "ctx" parameter with every request, I decided to simply add the following code, after the first line in my connector.php:

if(!isset($_REQUEST['ctx'])) {
                $_REQUEST['ctx'] = 'web';
            }

This seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks again for your help, Bob!

Zach
              • 24,544 Posts
              I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for reporting back. smiley
                My MODX Extras