We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    I accidently deleted the setup directory when I was installing modx. What should I do to fix it? Do I re-upload the setup directory that I already downloaded or what?
      • 1,572 Posts
      You will only need the setup directory if you are going to move to another server, if your not going to do that then don't worry, however that said yes just re-upload it but make sure you change it's name until you need it again.
        • 4 Posts
        Quote from: paulp at Jun 16, 2013, 08:03 AM
        You will only need the setup directory if you are going to move to another server, if your not going to do that then don't worry, however that said yes just re-upload it but make sure you change it's name until you need it again.

Do you mean to rename the "setup" folder?
          • 1,572 Posts
          Yes, after you have run the setup rename the setup folder so that no one knows what it's called
            • 4 Posts
            Quote from: paulp at Jun 16, 2013, 08:29 AM
            Yes, after you have run the setup rename the setup folder so that no one knows what it's called

Run the setup? I thought I only have to re-upload the setup folder back in the modx directory and rename the setup folder?

The instructions at http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Basic+Installation only told me not to delete the setup folder as the screenshot showed the unchecked "Check this to DELETE the setup directory from the filesystem". And it has something to do with preventing others from hacking and running setup on my site....?
              • 1,572 Posts
              Ok, Lets start from scratch just to simplify things as you seem to be getting confused.

1: To install modx upload everything from the zip file and go to yourdomain.com/setup
              2: Once you have run setup and modx is installed you can safely delete the setup folder if you wish, but if you've installed it on a development server it is best to keep it as you will need to run setup again ( in upgrade mode ) once you move everything to the new server.
              3: if you decide to keep the setup folder for whatever reason ( I do because of any problems that might happen ) rename it to something else so it's not easily accessible.

All in all you don't need to keep the setup folder once you have installed modx, its simply there for the system to be set up, once thats done the choice is yours and for security reasons it should either be re named or deleted from the server.
                • 4 Posts
                Thank you very much for clearing it up!

I was really confused about the conflicting information giving out in the installation link.

You are awesome!!!