We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 75 Posts
    Have anyone tested all these http://modx.com/extras/package/minifyx, http://modx.com/extras/package/smartoptimizer,
    http://modx.com/extras/package/minifyregistered plugins for frontend optimization?

What is the core difference? Which one is easier, faster and less resource demanding?

I also interested in option to minfy all js/css on the page including js/css which are added to the page by plugins automatically (so not able to set these files in the minification snippet).
      • 338 Posts
      I've only used smartoptimizer which works well.

The one thing I would say is that you have to organize your files in a certain way.

That is you have to put all the files you want to minify in the same folder (all js in one all css in another) which may go against wanting to keep files from the same components in their own directories.

Mike
        • 712 Posts
        The best way really is to not minify on server at all (if possible). Do that client side
          jpdevries
          • 338 Posts
          Quote from: dinocorn at Jun 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
          The best way really is to not minify on server at all (if possible). Do that client side

Why?

I thought the idea was you concatenate so there's only one call to the server and you minify so that the payload is small hence increasing the page speed and the user experience?
            • 712 Posts
            Less the server does the better IMO
              jpdevries
              • 338 Posts
              Smart optimizer caches the minified files so the server would probably do more work serving numerous files that just one.

And faster pages get brownie points in Google's algorithms.
                • 712 Posts
                Oh for sure, I just like to compress stuff client side when possible. Maybe it's just because I'm a flash developer at heart
                  jpdevries
                • I agree with JP, it's better to handle as much as possible in advance instead of relying on the server. You can combine and minify both CSS and JS files in advance. If you want to serve them compressed (gzip), then you would need to leverage the server for that operation.

That being said we are being slightly lazy using minifyx on our site. Granted we use a host of other tricks along with those to pull off a ~600ms or faster load time. It never hurts to optimize things smiley [ed. note: AMDbuilder last edited this post 10 years, 10 months ago.]
                    Patrick | Server Wrangler
                    About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                    • 338 Posts
                    Quote from: AMDbuilder at Jun 15, 2013, 11:26 PM
                    I agree with JP, it's better to handle as much as possible in advance

Good point, I think smartoptimizer works well with my workflow though, and when it's cached that's the equivalent of minifying it in advance.
                      • 13 Posts
                      I think the only issue is if you want to edit your files in modx. I think it is a lot easier to do that in an ide then compress and upload the new file when you have tested your changes.