We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 56 Posts
    Hi,

PROBLEM: In a fresh modx install i set charset/collation to utf8 and utf8_general_ci but still find it impossible to get past '→ Create or test selection of your database.'

This problem is reoccurring - it's always a huge sticking point when I install modx on a new web-server. I honestly dread it every time.

What am I doing wrong?

This time around my database is running a connection collation of utf8_general_ci a setting which the webhotel service cannot change.

Software and server details:
    Revolution: 2.2.8pl
    Apache/2.2.16 (Debian)
    Database client version: libmysql - 5.1.66
    PHP extension: mysqli

This question has been answered by jorgeca. See the first response.

• 701 Posts
      Quote from: jorgeca at Jun 11, 2013, 01:54 PM
      Hi,
      PROBLEM: In a fresh modx install i set charset/collation to utf8 and utf8_general_ci but still find it impossible to get past '→ Create or test selection of your database.'

Are you creating the database manually first before running the instal, or are you trying to let modx create it for you?
        • 56 Posts
        Thank you for the reply!

I am trying to have the installer find the database created by the host, and create the tables within.

Additional info: I actually once made the installation already, but I only got a blank screen upon installation. I have no idea how I got past the collation bit though - I just randomly chose different collation/charsets. All the tables where then created, but I dropped them after the first install botched.

Now I'm trying again, but stuck at this create/test bit.

I have this vague recollection of having to create the tables manually at some point - what do you think? [ed. note: jorgeca last edited this post 10 years, 10 months ago.]
        • discuss.answer
          • 56 Posts
          As always it's just the simplest of mistakes that topple the whole thing.

forgot an underscore in the db name

sorry to have wasted your time
            • 701 Posts
            haha easy done, glad you've got it sorted.