We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    My site has a number of pages like site.com/subfolder/ with links on them like <a href="assets/files/blahblah">. Previously, something would rewrite those so they correct pointed to site.com/assets/files/blahblah but now they all point to site.com/subfolder/assets/files/blahblah like any relative path would. What did I miss here? I'd rather not have to go back and fix all the links.

This question has been answered by bberkemier. See the first response.

[ed. note: bberkemier last edited this post 10 years, 10 months ago.]
      • 1,613 Posts
      maybe .htaccess
        Evolution user, I like the back-end speed and simplicity smiley
      • discuss.answer
        • 3 Posts
        Actually I found the issue. There's a new configuration directive under Tools - > Configuration -> Friendly URLs called "Make end slash URL at the container". It defaults to yes. I turned it off and the behavior reverted to the previous behavior.
          • 953 Posts
          Quote from: bberkemier at Jun 03, 2013, 07:38 PM
          "Make end slash URL at the container"

Sometimes you have to shake your head at things like this.

Who introduced this ?
          Why was this introduced ?
          Was the community asked if they wanted this ?
          Were users told about this modification - if yes, when
          Why is this set as default ?

This is a perfect way to mess up a large sites SERP's and then you have to do tons of research to find out what this phenomenon has been caused by.

I know some developers are not English, but is there not a translation that actualy describes this a little better.

e.g.
          FURL Folder structure - use a trailing slash
          FURL parent / child folder structure - use a trailing slash
          FURL directory structure - use a trailing slash
          Virtual Directories - use a trailing slash

Just out of interest, why has this been taken on anyway.

If you are using FURL's as "domain.com/parent" and then type a trailing slash behind the URL when loaded in the browser, you will see that MODx loads the same page, which could be classed as duplicate content.

So using a canonical meta tag remedies this problem.

but I see no information about why the trailing slash has been added to the configuration settings, and or what the benefits are from using it this way.

UPDATE:
          Looking at the EVO tracker, I found: Bug #9959
          Enabling "*Make end slash URL at the container*", change www.mydomain/container.html to www.mydomain/container/
          but www.mydomain/container.html is still accessible.

Actually, updating a previous version of Evo, automatically enable this option.
          In my opinion, should be disabled by default.
          It 'better to leave the choice to the admin/webmaster, to avoid problems with custom snippets or old SEO structures.
          [ed. note: iusemodx last edited this post 10 years, 10 months ago.]