We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    I've inherited a MODx Revo site and I'm a total MODx noob. I am trying to set it up in MAMP but have gotten 503 errors so far. If I do a straight install everything works. If I download the site via FTP and load the db via phpMyAdmin errors ensue. So, I'm a bit overwhelmed with a new system I am not familiar with. The issue seems to be with how I move the site's files.

I have yet to find a step by step on setting up an *existing site* in MAMP. Documentation discusses packaging via Unix commands.

Is there a way to "package" a site without Unix command line access? As far as know, the host does not allow this.

• Follow the instructions here and make sure you change the database properties and it will work on your localhost.

Good luck and welcome to MODX.
        Benjamin Marte
        Interactive Media Developer
        Follow Me on Twitter | Visit my site | Learn MODX
        • 131 Posts
        I have also my MODX using MAMP and no problem at all.

Quote from: squidz at May 13, 2013, 01:20 PM
        I've inherited a MODx Revo site and I'm a total MODx noob. I am trying to set it up in MAMP but have gotten 503 errors so far. If I do a straight install everything works. If I download the site via FTP and load the db via phpMyAdmin errors ensue. So, I'm a bit overwhelmed with a new system I am not familiar with. The issue seems to be with how I move the site's files.

I have yet to find a step by step on setting up an *existing site* in MAMP. Documentation discusses packaging via Unix commands.

Is there a way to "package" a site without Unix command line access? As far as know, the host does not allow this.

• 4 Posts
          Quote from: benmarte at May 13, 2013, 01:48 PM
          Follow the instructions here and make sure you change the database properties and it will work on your localhost.

Good luck and welcome to MODX.

Thanks Benjamin. I have been attempting this but I don't get how to pack up the site. Is there a way to pack up the site without Unix command line access?
          • You don't need to pack up the site you can just download the files from your host via FTP and put them on your localhost, then just follow the instructions on the tutorial.
              Benjamin Marte
              • 4 Posts
              Quote from: benmarte at May 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
              You don't need to pack up the site you can just download the files from your host via FTP and put them on your localhost, then just follow the instructions on the tutorial.

I'll have another go at it that way and see what happens. Thanks!
              • I use the Vapor scripts to move sites. I just moved a site from the Cloud to my local MAMP, and the only thing I had to do was uninstall and re-install one package in the Package Manager that got scrambled somehow.

Upload and run the Vapor scripts on the original site. Make a new MODx installation on localhost, and put the Vapor-generated package in your new site's core/packages folder. Install it as you would any other local package. You'll need to log in using your original site's login as the package installation finishes.

Complete tutorial (.pdf file) here http://sottwell.com/articles/modx-cloud/
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 4 Posts
                  Quote from: benmarte at May 13, 2013, 04:42 PM
                  You don't need to pack up the site you can just download the files from your host via FTP and put them on your localhost, then just follow the instructions on the tutorial.

I appreciate the clarification Benjamin. The third time was a charm. I believe that I had probably missed changing a path in one of the deeper config files. I appreciate the assistance.
                  • @squidz Glad you got it working wink
                      Benjamin Marte