We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Hi all!

What is the right way to start building protected area (kind of simple extranet) to front-end in Revolution 2.2.x.

I know that one way to achieve that is protecting pages (or resources) by creating resource groups and granting rights to certain user groups to acces those resources. I was wondering can i create a whole new context and protect that (the whole context), so that not logged in front-end users or (anonymous)-user group will see unauthorized page when trying to load those pages?

Are contexts ment to be used for that purpose anyway?

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

[ed. note: jkauppila last edited this post 10 years, 11 months ago.]
    • discuss.answer
      • 211 Posts
      Yes, this is perfectly valid.
      for instance, the manager is a protected context.
      Look in the administrator user group at the context access tab for an example.
      • @jkauppila take a look at my ACL tutorial it might help you get an idea on how MODX ACL's work.

Good Luck.
          Benjamin Marte
          Interactive Media Developer
          Follow Me on Twitter | Visit my site | Learn MODX
        • discuss.answer
          • 24,544 Posts
          I generally don't use contexts unless I have to. They introduce complexities that I prefer to avoid.

One really simple way of doing what you want is to put a snippet in the Template for those pages that redirects users. Something like this:

<?php
          /* Redirect anyone who is not logged in */

if (! $modx->user->hasSessionContext($modx->context->get('key'))) {
             $modx->sendUnauthorizedPage();
          }
          return '';

<?php
          /* Redirect anyone who is not a member of a particular user group */

if (! $modx->user->isMember('SomeUserGroup')) {
             $modx->sendUnauthorizedPage();
          }
          return '';

Make sure your unauthorized page is published. You can put a Login snippet tag on it with &redirectToPrior=`1` so that they will be sent back to the original page after successfully logging in. [ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 10 years, 11 months ago.]
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 3 Posts
            Thanks for the examples. I ended up using a snippet in the template.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Just a note. I tried out the method I described above and it works except for the &redirectToPrior part. On my local machine using XAMPP, HTTP_REFERER is not set to page with the snippet tag on it, but rather to the page before that one. I haven't tried it on a "real" server so it might or might not work there.

There may be a way to have the snippet reset the HTTP_REFERER to the correct page, but I couldn't make it work.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting