We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 712 Posts
    Quote from: eein!! at Feb 21, 2014, 06:40 AM

Too long didn't read version:

1. Git based package management like composer/rubygems using json/gemfile type setup (can be used to install modx core files from repo).

2. Better direction on extras, making them more modular(file-side) and in a seperate, but visible location in modx for easier editing and development. If extras could automate use of migxdb for their purposes, the masses that hate manipulating SQL (including myself) would be more apt to write new extras. If i could think about databases like excel spreadsheets, and modify their properties like so, developing db-driven extras that dont have stringent requirements for datatypes (or even with them) would be cake.

3. Add MIGXDB/MIGXTV's (old migx) to CORE with enhance UX/UI for rapid developement of (detached-feeling) alien tables for non-cms tabular content.

4. ExtJS sad

Keep up the good work!
    I hope to contribute in the future. (might take my hand at the 2.3 UI redevelopment.)

1. I feel your pain. Not sure if this is officially on the roadmap or not, but I can tell you at least one team member really wants it wink

2. If we nailed #1, hopefully sub packages would be more manageable. I like the npm package.json way.

3. On the 2.x roadmap but I don't think anybody has started throwing cycles at it.

4. Once we get the privilege of breaking changes it's dead.

As far as 2.3 UI stuff, we could really use some help with the media manager. I'll post more details on that when I can, but this issue will be closed once we get it over in a feature branch on the official repo.
    https://github.com/jpdevries/flexperiments/issues/17
      jpdevries
      • 5,888 Posts

3. Add MIGXDB/MIGXTV's (old migx) to CORE with enhance UX/UI for rapid developement of (detached-feeling) alien tables for non-cms tabular content.

any visual ideas there about the UX/UI ?
        -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
        • 143 Posts
        Nothing wrong with the look of migx, it should match the standard UI as closely as possible. The big improvements would be to bring the editing inline and include an edit button by default.
          Eighth day design
          Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
          • 14 Posts
          Quote from: dinocorn at Feb 22, 2014, 12:15 AM

1. I feel your pain. Not sure if this is officially on the roadmap or not, but I can tell you at least one team member really wants it wink

2. If we nailed #1, hopefully sub packages would be more manageable. I like the npm package.json way.

3. On the 2.x roadmap but I don't think anybody has started throwing cycles at it.

4. Once we get the privilege of breaking changes it's dead.

As far as 2.3 UI stuff, we could really use some help with the media manager. I'll post more details on that when I can, but this issue will be closed once we get it over in a feature branch on the official repo.
          https://github.com/jpdevries/flexperiments/issues/17

Thanks for the update! I'll take a look around this week and see if there's anything I'm able to help with.

Quote from: Bruno17 at Feb 24, 2014, 05:50 AM

They are more minor then I made it out to be tongue But its mostly organization of fields, and user-friendliness for new users exploring the power of it. The first time I was in there, I was quite confused about the success message when it didn't feel like anything happened.

In my head, alot of the things could be automated like schema setup (maybe a simple schema builder interface) and then a build new option so you dont have to go through through each add writing schema, parse schema, add tables; just so you know it works. These options could be left manual for advanced usage, but maybe in a tab elsewhere.

I was really happy with the gel studios video; but until I saw that I really had no idea how it worked or how to get started; The UX flaw was I had to watch a tutorial to know how it worked. If there wasn't a video i'd say alot of users wouldn't really get it.

A minor quirk that sets off my OCD is:
          On the columns tab, the 'field' input is the second field on the list, but on the formtabs input, the fields tab is the first input field.

Its really just minor organization of things. Then again, maybe I'm just a whiney nitpicker tongue

Quote from: eighthday at Feb 24, 2014, 09:47 AM
          Nothing wrong with the look of migx, it should match the standard UI as closely as possible. The big improvements would be to bring the editing inline and include an edit button by default.

Agreed!
            • 353 Posts
            A few things I'd like to add to this thread. If they have been pointed out before, please don't be mad at me...

A. Please have a heart for clumsy people, people with bad eye-sight, etc

A 1. The clickable area for unfolding a part of the tree in the MODX is way to small. Its 16x18px and the arrow is dangerously near to the resource title. If I got a penny every time somebody opened a parent resource instead of unfolding the tree at a particular spot, I wouldn't have to work for the rest of my life (and all future ones too...).

I'd recommand to give those arrows a little bit more margin to the right. A comfort zone of 5 px would be a good start.

A 2. Font-size: 11px for a elements in the tree and as button labels? Of course it is still readable, but its neither easy to the eye nor necessary.

Every recommendation I ever heard of starts at a minimum of 12px, so I think this is a good start.

B. Help Texts. It should be easier to add helptexts to various MODX elements.

If you are working with a CMS on a daily basis, its easy to remember how to accomplish things. But if you are logging into your manager once per month or even once per year, even "easy" things" get suddenly difficult.

I believe that for many clients the perceived quality of a web project is strongly influenced by how the manager supports the editor in completing his tasks. Therefore every featrue that makes MODX eaasier to learn and understand is worth thinking about.

Right now I'm using a custom TV to organize help texts. It works, but it feels terribly wrong. Any attempt to do something less hacky would have my full support.

Regards,

pepebe [ed. note: pepebe last edited this post 10 years, 2 months ago.]
              Homepage: pepebe.de | MODX snippets (and other stuff) at github: https://gist.github.com/pepebe
              • 293 Posts
              Biggest thing for me is to have a responsive manager interface that's snappy on a phone. (I actually like ExtJS but for this case it's terrible)

I'm lead developer at Digital Penguin Creative Studio in Hong Kong. https://www.digitalpenguin.hk
                Check out the MODX tutorial series on my blog at https://www.hkwebdeveloper.com
                • 712 Posts
                Quote from: Bruno17 at Feb 23, 2014, 11:50 PM

I'm working on an accessible data grid for "MODX Next", 4.x (aka next version without ExtJS) or whatever we are calling it. It does not rely on right clicks and is screen reader, keyboard and mobile accessible. I think something like this could power MIGX-y stuff.

https://forums.modx.com/thread/102309/wip-accessible-data-grid#dis-post-551302
                  jpdevries