We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I'm really interested to know what workflows people use to deploy their sites, and how you work on them day-to-day, with regards to MODX Cloud.

I've been in discussion on this thread, http://forums.modx.com/thread/80939/git-workflow-on-modx-cloud, but I feel I should open it up more to learn about how everyone else deploys their sites.

Because we use static resources for chunks/snippets/templates etc I'm using PHP Storm to sync to the server via FTP on every file save, and using the manager on the cloud, rather than a local installation. In fact, I have no local installation. This is OK in the short term (for production), but once we go live this isn't so great. We really need to have a proper workflow where we can deploy to the server is a safe and scalable way. I don't like the idea of working on the server.

But, once the sites on the server, it needs to be updated often.

From the other thread I thought I might have been on to something. The PUSH/PULL git model using BitBucket works great, but because we can't access the remote DB from our local machines I've hit a brick wall.

Having a local DB is no good - imagine what we'd have to do when we wanted to go live? We'd have to add all the DB changes to the live DB as well.

I'd really like to know what other people do, working in teams, for live + staging sites? I like the Git-deployment model, but I can't actually do it the way I'd like with MODX Cloud.

I can't be the only one working on multiple, large sites across the cloud - so somebody must either a) have the same problems, or b) found a workable solution.

Let me know your thoughts smiley