We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 125 Posts
    Hi there,

I have just installed modx 2.2.6 traditional ony my webserver (strato, php 5.2) without any problems during installation.

After entering the backend, I had the blank screen issue. So I changed config.cache.php as I found the solution on the web:
     /core/cache/system_settings/config_cache.php 'compress_js' => '1', 'compress_css' => '1'
    into 
    'compress_js' => '0' 
    'compress_css' => '0' 

after this change the backend appears to be normal again, I could see the resource tree and so on. After clearing the cache, same error. This time I used the system settings in the backend to make these changes, because in config.cache.php my manually edited values were resetted.

This time everything seems to be working perfectly. Resource Tree working, Package Manager working, Icons working.

But today I just wanted to change a setting in System Settings. -> now they are blank.
    Everything else is ok so far. Even publishing, editing is working fine...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    This seams to be something to do with compression again...but what?

I also checked: http://tracker.modx.com/issues/6509

But this is not the solution. Any suggestion or fixes, workarounds?

AD

p.s. I also deleted core/cache completely wihtout luck... [ed. note: ad2003 last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]
      • 24,544 Posts
      Have you tried clearing your browser cache and cookies? You may have some JavaScript from before you fixed things stuck in the browser cache.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 125 Posts
        Hello BobRay,

yes, I cleared all caches and also tried different browsers on different machines - stays the same.

----edit: Ok - now it seems to work. I just reinstalled everything and did everything step by step - imported my database from my localinstall and now it seems to work.

-- edit2: everything works, execpt that the save edit etc. menu does not appear any longer. Also the ctl-s is not longer working...when I use the QuickUpdate it works, saves. etc.

<div id="modAB"></div> show empty in html view...

[/URL]

and :-( very frustating....

edit3: I reinstalled the packages and now...finally...it looks, like it could work....
        After reinstalling versionX the "save" buttons appeared and ctl-S saving is possible again...

Thanks,

AD

[ed. note: ad2003 last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]
          • 24,544 Posts
          Weird. Did you transfer the files individually with FTP? That often results in corrupted or missing core files.
            My MODX Extras
            • 125 Posts
            Hi BobRay,

well I extracted the modx-2.2.6-pl.tar.bz2 via php file on the ftp. The same I did with the components. It might be a connection between this.

What I don't understand is the problem with the compress css and js - does this problem comes from my hoster? It's using php 5.2 (with 5.3 I got a errormessage about time) and FastCGI. I also realized, that even when I check to delete the setup folder at the end of the installation, it's still there.

What should my hosters requirements be? It has 104mb memory so far...
            Maybe I could ask them for some enhancements.

The other thing I would like to know:

what is the best way of getting a local installation (e.g. Xampp) on the server.

I did it this way:

1. uploaded the modx-2.2.6-pl.tar.bz2 extracted it
            2. completely installed it with the setup routine
            3. put the assets to its place (template, components)
            4. imported the complete database from my local one after getting errors while importing single tables

I was wondering that a complete import of the database - even system_settings table - made no problems.
            Do I have to change anything else? The installation runs quite perfectly now. Do you have any suggestions to make it a better way?

Thank you!

AD
              • 24,544 Posts
              I don't know the details of the compress_js and compress_css issues, but I know that they're fairly common.

Pretty much everything you need to know about moving a site to a server is here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Moving+Your+Site+to+a+New+Server

You should definitely run setup if you haven't done so, but I'm glad things are working for you.
                My MODX Extras
                • 125 Posts
                Thank you BobRay,

really apreciate your help!
                I will check out the rtfm!

thanks!

AD
                  • 436 Posts
                  I've had this problem before enabling and disabling compression on css and javascript through both MODX and htaccess. Never been able to figure out a foolproof procedure but it does seem to be a conflict between MODX cached copies, browser cached copies, the post header request telling the browser to expect one type of file and the browser pulling a copy from somewhere which doesn't match up. Flushing everything on the server end and the client end, then doing a hard refresh usually clears it up.
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    When I see something like this, my first try is to reload the page with Ctrl-F5. Occasionally, I do have to clear the browser cache and cookies, though.
                      My MODX Extras
                      • 125 Posts
                      Quote from: absent42 at Mar 18, 2013, 05:00 PM
                      I've had this problem before enabling and disabling compression on css and javascript through both MODX and htaccess. Never been able to figure out a foolproof procedure but it does seem to be a conflict between MODX cached copies, browser cached copies, the post header request telling the browser to expect one type of file and the browser pulling a copy from somewhere which doesn't match up. Flushing everything on the server end and the client end, then doing a hard refresh usually clears it up.

I have the feeling that the hoster also plays a part in that game.
                      But I really don't know. I am glad, that everything now seems to work so far....

What still is buggy is the "versionX" as long it is activated, the save buttons on the top right are missing....so it has to stay deactivated... :-(

AD
                      [ed. note: ad2003 last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]