We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 81 Posts
    The FAQ states:

Snapshots can be a complete clone of a site, or just certain elements such as the base template.

How is this possible in the current implementation?

The above statement as well as the categorization of current templates as "Public Templates" implies that one should be capable of creating custom (Private?) snapshot templates, but I have seen no specific mention of it anywhere.

What is the plan for being able to customize snapshot templates?
      • 143 Posts
      Navigate to your cloud and then click create snapshot, you should now see a few options under templates.
        Eighth day design
        Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
        • 81 Posts
        What option, besides 'Public Templates' do you see? Because the four public templates are all the options i have ever been given. I expected the ability to create my own custom templates to have more granular control over what a snapshot consists of.
          • 143 Posts
          sorry I see what you mean, you can use packMan if you just want to import certain templates, tvs, chunks etc.. [ed. note: eighthday last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]
            Eighth day design
            Design agency with offices in Edinburgh and Brighton
            • 81 Posts
            Yeah, I suppose that would be a possible workaround, but it's a bit clumsy compared to what MODX Cloud appears to promise, which is a simple, consistent workflow that can be used by a team to push snapshots between clouds and manage the whole thing entirely from the MODX Cloud dashboard. I hope someone can chime in here with an official response. Maybe I'll have to contact James Bohan-Pitt directly or just submit a bug to the tracker...

I appreciate the input, btw. Thanks.
              • 4,149 Posts
              splittingred Reply #6, 11 years ago
              We're looking into the ability to do custom tpls, however, the UX and implementation for this gets a bit tricky, so it's still not on our planned featureset. We'll get you more information as we progress on it.

Thanks guys!
                shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                • 81 Posts
                Ok, thanks Shaun. I look forward to it. But can you clarify the line in the FAQ I mentioned above which mentions that is is possible to create snapshots of 'just certain elements such as the base template'?
                  • 4,149 Posts
                  splittingred Reply #8, 11 years ago
                  Moko,

That FAQ needs to be fixed; that's incorrect as it stands. Currently, only the Snapshot TPLs that are listed are available.
                    shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                    • 81 Posts
                    Is someone going to actually change that statement then, or at least clarify the plan to support such a feature? The snapshot feature is a lot less useful without that level of granularity. I would have liked to be able to push minor changes between instances of a cloud (dev & staging/production) using the snapshot feature as it's being promoted but, as it exists, it's really not possible.
                      • 68 Posts
                      Quote from: MokoJumbie at May 26, 2013, 08:31 PM
                      Is someone going to actually change that statement then, or at least clarify the plan to support such a feature? The snapshot feature is a lot less useful without that level of granularity. I would have liked to be able to push minor changes between instances of a cloud (dev & staging/production) using the snapshot feature as it's being promoted but, as it exists, it's really not possible.

+1