We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 572 Posts
    Hi,

I have a user group that do not have the ability to create a resource in the root and instead, in the manager , they can see a container resource where they can create new resources.
    However they are actually still able to create a resource in the root by clicking on the icon in the resource tree or right clicking on the root icon. The resources can't be saved but they can be created which is confusing so i wondered if there was a way I could remove this option altogether?

Thanks for any help

j
      www.9thwave.co.uk
         WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
      • 24,544 Posts
      Try creating a User Setting for each user called tree_root_id and set the value to the ID of your container document.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • Hm sounds like a permission issue..
        Can you confirm the policy the usergroup uses doesn't have checked "new_document_in_root" permission AND the users not have checked "Sudo user" checkbox?
          MODX Ambassador (NL) & Professional MODX developer
          Follow me on Twitter | Visit my page on Facebook | View my code on Github | View my script posts
          MODX e-commerce solution SimpleCart
          • 572 Posts
          Hi,

Thanks for your answers. Yes i can confirm that "new_document_in_root" for the usergroup is unchecked and each user does not have the "sudo user" checked. The document id is also specified for each user in the "user settings" for "tree_root_id".
          I'm using MODx 2.2.4 by the way.
          From your questions can i assume that you can get this to work, i.e. that a user is not able to even create a document in the root when the "new_document_in_root" is unchecked and a "tree_root_id" is specified?

Is there another setting in the access policy that may be affecting this?

Thanks for your help
            www.9thwave.co.uk
               WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
            • 24,544 Posts
            In theory, tree_root_id means that the user can't even see anything above the specified doc, though I haven't tried it lately. Are you sure you set the "key" of the User Setting to "tree_root_id" and the value to the ID of the container doc?

You'd have to flush permissions and flush all sessions for it to take effect.

My MODX Extras
              • 572 Posts
              Hi Bob,

Yes i've flushed permissions and the "tree_root_id" is set...see attachments for screen shots. When i click on the "New Document" icon the new document window opens but i am unable to save the document (which is good)...ideally though i wouldn't even have the option to create a New Document as it seems to be confusing people. Ideally i should only be able to create a new document by right clicking on the containing resource.
              Any ideas?

Thanks
                www.9thwave.co.uk
                   WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
                • 24,544 Posts
                Sorry, I can't think of anything that would work. Maybe someone else has an idea.
                  My MODX Extras