We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 297 Posts
    Hi everyone,
    I'm glad to see this post alive. But, in other hand, I'm worried. This post was written 4 years ago, and we are still discussing about modx future. I know there is a board now and a lot of movement there but folks... 4 years sad
    And I'm worried about some things I read in blog and forums. Instead of focusing in ux and features, most of time the discussion is about arquitechture and coding stuff.
    Take a look to octobercms, also new rich text editors and New web technologies. Im concerned about modx to be the next duke nukem forever, and would be too old when released.
    In other side, despiste being critical and pesimist, i cant wait to see the progress you are doing and i really want to see the great modx i fall in love with.
    Btw: i recently released a new website (i was no longer doing it) and, despite all, my choice was modx smiley
      • 130 Posts
      Quote from: BobRay at Jun 06, 2017, 10:44 PM
      The modmore site is an excellent source, and I'm always impressed by the quality of the extras, but it has only 6 extras and I think little interest in extras not developed in-house. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think MODX needs a much bigger, more open marketplace.

Here's a post from Ryan promising such a thing (note the date): https://forums.modx.com/thread/50841/modx-marketplace-for-template#dis-post-297609

Whoa - Modmore only has 6 extras???
        • 712 Posts
        Quote from: stefany at Jun 06, 2017, 11:16 PM

Well, 6 premium and 11 free wink.

But hey that is more than the 1 we started with!
          jpdevries
          • 712 Posts
          Quote from: mIDO at Jun 06, 2017, 10:48 PM
          Hi everyone,
          I'm glad to see this post alive. But, in other hand, I'm worried. This post was written 4 years ago, and we are still discussing about modx future. I know there is a board now and a lot of movement there but folks... 4 years sad
          And I'm worried about some things I read in blog and forums. Instead of focusing in ux and features, most of time the discussion is about arquitechture and coding stuff.

Yes breaking changes are long over due. Some of the recent initiatives Sterc has sponsored put an emphasis on UX and I think some amazing things have come out of those recent meet ups. It's amazing how much you can learn from just spending a few hours in a room with people who have never heard of MODX and get their feedback.

That said, I hope we've lessened the "experience curve" to what it takes to contribute to MODX. What I mean by that is anyone willing and able to contribute is invited to do so, and anyone can contribute. Seriously. Anyone. Not a coder? Perfect, we have plenty of those. Making MODX more inclusive to end users is going to be a massive effort. Take editing the messaging to be less technical and more end user friendly for example. That is a massive project that anyone, regardless of what language(s) they are fluent in, could contribute to. And the less tech-savy they are the better.

One thing I'm realizing is how overwhelming important some of these "non-coding" initiatives are. We may have the best code in the world, but if people can't access it for one reason or another, we all lose out.
            jpdevries
            • 130 Posts
            Quote from: dinocorn at Jun 06, 2017, 11:19 PM

Well, 6 premium and 11 free wink.

But hey that is more than the 1 we started with!

Got it - are people allowed to submit extras or do you guys make the premium ones yourselves?
              • 712 Posts
              Quote from: stefany at Jun 07, 2017, 02:52 PM

Got it - are people allowed to submit extras or do you guys make the premium ones yourselves?

Formalicious is the first premium extra in our marketplace not created or maintained by modmore. It is by Sterc, and basically a trial run of us branching out. If you have an extra you think fits in our marketplace I'd suggest contacting [email protected].
                jpdevries
                • 130 Posts
                Quote from: dinocorn at Jun 07, 2017, 03:02 PM
                Quote from: stefany at Jun 07, 2017, 02:52 PM

Formalicious is the first premium extra in our marketplace not created or maintained by modmore. It is by Sterc, and basically a trial run of us branching out. If you have an extra you think fits in our marketplace I'd suggest contacting [email protected].

Many Thanks!
                  • 47 Posts

Stefany,

Just wanted to check that you realise that modmore isn't MODX.

MODX has hundreds of extras - many free, some paid.

Modmore is a specific company who makes a few of those extras (and I might add: they're very good!)
                    • 47 Posts
                    Quote from: mIDO at Jun 06, 2017, 10:48 PM

Yep - I hear you on that point.
                      • 1,145 Posts
                      Many lives have been born in four years.
                      MODX, what's up?

LOL ... not like I am one for change.
                      MODX may be 4 years behind (behind what precisely?) but it is still on top.
                      Strange!
                        TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
                        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
                        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.