We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 170 Posts
    I never paid attention to this nice feature previously, but working on a new site and using articles addon for the first time, I went into an local language support issue.

After seeking for a while and with the help from the forum, I found it could be helpfull to document the local language support in modx.

One parameter people can set up to make sure the messages are handled properly and local caracters rendered as they should be is the locale parameter in lexicon and language section of modx core administration.

this variable should be fully qualified to work properly which means
    The locale setting must conform to either the ISO 639 standards or RFC 1766 standards. 
    or for beotians (newbies) like : fr_FR.UTF-8

If you omit part of the definition some messages will default to your server language (usually english) or will not render as UTF8 caracters.

As an example Posted on Feb 26, 2013 (default, no parameter setup for locale) should render in french as : posté le févr. 26, 2013, if you put fr_FR.UTF-8 in the locale, but will render post� le f�vr. 26, 2013 with incomplete fr_FR setup.

If you have multiple contexts (for example : multiple language support), you can set up different locale in the different language contexts.

Thanks to the modx team for the good work done here.

Philippe