We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 85 Posts
    In a bit of a bind with this one so really appreciate any help.

As far as I can tell the website had been working fine but is now showing a Error 503: Service Unavailable that is being produced from Modx. I get the same error front and back end.

The website was using friendly Urls (if it makes any difference) and have renamed the htaccess file just in case.

The only thing that I know has changed but can't see how it would cause this is that the domain name was transferred from another provider to the one I am hosting the webserver on?

I'm not sure how to diagnose the issue with just that error showing and not being able to get into the backend.

I haven't cleared the cache yet, but might give that a try.

The hosting works fine as I can browse successfully to an image in the root folder.

Many thanks.

This question has been answered by mflammia. See the first response.

[ed. note: mflammia last edited this post 11 years, 2 months ago.]
      • 24,544 Posts
      BTW, If you rename the .htaccess file, you should also turn off FURLs in the modx_system_settings table in the DB, though I don't think that's your main problem.

Deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing your browser cache *and cookies* are definitely things to try.

Also, check all the paths and URLs in core/config/config.inc.php and the database credentials there.

Check the paths in the config.core.php files: (in modx root, manager, connectors, and setup/includes)

Another possibility is that the hosts file on your local computer is still pointing to the IP of the old site.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • discuss.answer
        • 85 Posts
        Thanks for replying Bob.

Well I have no idea what caused it but to fix it I just re-run the install process again.

For anyone who needs to do this I just followed the upgrade process here http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Upgrading+MODx and selected upgrade existing, making sure the core/config/config.inc.php was left intact and that folders where merged and not indiscriminately overwritten using transit. I also cleared the core/cache folder.

I did compare the core/config/config.inc.php against and old one and it was exactly the same.