We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 573 Posts
    The lack of email is making the cloud a little hard to sell to clients, has anyone got a recommendations for an inexpensive email only host?
      • 151 Posts
      Thought about using Google Apps?
        MODX...the Zen of CMS
        "Bight off more than you can chew and keep right on chewing."
        • 573 Posts
        it's too expensive now they have dropped the 10 free accounts.
          • 634 Posts
            Mikko Lammi, Owner at Maagit
            • 151 Posts
            From the list there:

Those are some options to think about. I did not know Outlook offered that service now. I would definitely look deeper into that. Although I would have serious questions about Hotmail/Outlook security as they have many accounts get highjacked, and from my understanding it is fairly easy to do. Maybe that has been tightened up since converting over to Outlook.com

Skytoaster is a great webhost. Very MODX friendly and the owners and staff are much more personable than your average 1-800 number. My concern with them though would be storage space. On their shared hosts it's fairly low at 5g for the upper level plan. If you're talking about email accounts as you probably know someone who uses their domain email as their main one can very quickly eat up a gig or two.

I would look at hosts with unlimited emails and storage space. Something like HostGator or Bluehost or Inmotion, personal preference there. You have to watch any of them though because they all have hidden limits, which you probably know too. Most of them do it through limiting add-on domains. So you'd only be able to have so many domain emails on one host. But lets say you can get 25 domains on the $10/month Hostgator shared plan. That's pretty damn cheap considering you have unlimited storage space and email accounts. If you wanted to go really cheap for your clients you could tack on $2/month to the cloud fees, or whatever you want to charge.

I can't think of a more cost affective way to do it. You know using Outlook or another free service, if they're out there, will have strings attached.
              MODX...the Zen of CMS
              "Bight off more than you can chew and keep right on chewing."
            • Quote from: eric.swd at Feb 25, 2013, 11:11 AM
              Skytoaster is a great webhost. Very MODX friendly and the owners and staff are much more personable than your average 1-800 number. My concern with them though would be storage space. On their shared hosts it's fairly low at 5g for the upper level plan. If you're talking about email accounts as you probably know someone who uses their domain email as their main one can very quickly eat up a gig or two.

Thank you for the kind words. Our shared hosting plans are packaged reasonable for most websites, without tons of limitations - after all nothing is truly unlimited. We work with anyone approaching the upper limit to find a solution such as increasing disk space or helping them delete that folder with 3GB of old installers they never use. We still have some usage restrictions as all hosts must, but overall there is plenty of flexibility.

In regards to the hosted email we haven't had anyone reach the limit and there are some heavy users testing things. Granted anything is possible so it's really a question of what solution works best for you needs.
                Patrick | Server Wrangler
                About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
              • Indeed, I always encourage my clients to keep their email on their local machine, establishing an archive policy appropriate for the legal requirements relevant to the client, and to configure their email clients to delete read emails from the server. There is no reason for years of email to accumulate on a shared hosting server.

For one thing, if somebody else on the server is being investigated for something, it is not uncommon for the whole server to be confiscated by the law enforcement or national security agency involved, and your email files on that server may well be examined as part of the investigation (whether this is actually legal for them to do or not), even though you have nothing at all to do with the other domain being hosted on the same server. And these servers are not always returned with data intact, besides which they may not be returned for months or even years.
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 165 Posts
                  Indeed, I always encourage my clients to keep their email on their local machine,
                  Yes, I could not agree more with this. Plus that you or a client can write, edit, or read any email off-line. I tried many email clients and ended up with mozilla thunderbird as the best imho. It has everything onboard what you need and it is not so quirky like windows live or outlook. Thunderbird is very straightforward. Plus you can backup or move your profile including all your email boxes, emails and settings very easy to any other computer. (try that one with outlook) On top of that I want to mention poppeeper which is a great email notifier. Clients love it because it is so super easy to use and they can also use it as a simple email client. The downside is that you have to teach some clients how to manage their email backups on a secure pen-drive or dropbox.
                  Have a look and be positive surprised: http://www.poppeeper.com/
                  and of course: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/features/
                  and check all the add ons. [ed. note: sitecms last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]
                    • 165 Posts
                    For one thing, if somebody else on the server is being investigated for something, it is not uncommon for the whole server to be confiscated by the law enforcement or national security agency involved,
                    This is also true of course, in case of confiscating a cloud. Last year I noticed an increase on taking down complete servers, taking down many other sites, just because somebody filed a complaint and takedown for investigating 1 case or 1 served page on a site. If clients ask me about the patriot act I always recommend them to go for a cloud in their own country and ask a local lawyer about the law and the consequences. Remember how megaupload was taken down ? Authorities and forces didn't show much law there but showed a lot of arrogance and power. Legal parties still haven't got their data back. [ed. note: sitecms last edited this post 11 years, 1 month ago.]
                    • Hi Guys,

I thought I would add to this posting a little. Hopefully you would have seen one of our latest Blog posts (https://modxcloud.com/blog/2013/02/28/modx-cloud-update-march-2013/). We mention that an email service will become a feature of MODX Cloud next quarter. We have provided some pricing too, and feel its competitive with other service providers.

On hand should anyone have any questions.

All the best!