We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 127 Posts
    I just did a fresh install on my local machince:

windows 7 64bits

Downloaded the latest modx revo
    running wamp

install went without a hitch, but when I try to log in with my admin username and password, I get no error, and the page seems to just refresh back to the login page.

I have looked all over the web, been trying to figure this out for the last couple of hours but can't login. I am stuck. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
      www.JBMWebDesign.com
      www.JBMAutomation.com
      • 127 Posts
      I found this, but it says it applies to old revo installs. This is not an old beta version, it is a fresh install

The login page keeps redirecting me back to the login screen with no error

This can happen with older Revolution beta installs. To fix it, delete the following 3 system settings from the DB table `[prefix]_system_settings` (where prefix is your table prefix):

session_name
      session_cookie_path
      session_cookie_domain
      Then delete the core/cache/config.cache.php file.

Unless, of course, you've changed these explicitly for some purpose of your own.
        www.JBMWebDesign.com
        www.JBMAutomation.com
        • 127 Posts
        Tried this, no go. Deleted the database and the modx install, started over. Same issue. I need help!

Server Configuration
        Apache Version : 2.2.22
        PHP Version : 5.4.3
        MySQL Version : 5.5.24

Another thing I have noticed is that when I click the forgot password link and enter the email address I used to set it up, it say no user with that email....

Any ideas?

Quote from: jasonmonette at Feb 16, 2013, 04:04 AM
        I found this, but it says it applies to old revo installs. This is not an old beta version, it is a fresh install

The login page keeps redirecting me back to the login screen with no error

This can happen with older Revolution beta installs. To fix it, delete the following 3 system settings from the DB table `[prefix]_system_settings` (where prefix is your table prefix):

session_name
        session_cookie_path
        session_cookie_domain
        Then delete the core/cache/config.cache.php file.

Unless, of course, you've changed these explicitly for some purpose of your own.
          www.JBMWebDesign.com
          www.JBMAutomation.com
        • Few things you can do:

- clear cache and cookies for your domain - it could be a cookie conflict of sorts.
          - make sure the session_cookie_secure setting is disabled, unless your manager is served exclusively over SSL.
          - check the MODX error log in core/cache/logs/error.log to check for any errors.
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 127 Posts
            -- It is a local install, I did clear my browsers cache

--This is what the session_cookie_secure looks like:
            Value =
            xType = combo-boolean
            namespace = core
            area = session
            editedon = 0000-00-00 00:00:00

how do i make sure this is disabled?

--There is no file named error.log in the log folder

Thanks for your help, I hope we can get this working!

Quote from: markh at Feb 16, 2013, 08:15 PM
            Few things you can do:

- clear cache and cookies for your domain - it could be a cookie conflict of sorts.
            - make sure the session_cookie_secure setting is disabled, unless your manager is served exclusively over SSL.
            - check the MODX error log in core/cache/logs/error.log to check for any errors.
              www.JBMWebDesign.com
              www.JBMAutomation.com
              • 127 Posts
              the database says I have logged in 3 times, yet I have never gotten past the login page. it just seems locked on the log in page
                www.JBMWebDesign.com
                www.JBMAutomation.com
                • 211 Posts
                Sounds like a permission issue, though it never happened to me with a default user.
                Maybe the admin user group doesn't have the proper acl attached to it
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Try emptying and/or repairing the modx_session table in PhpMyAdmin.

While you're there, check the compress_js and compress_css setting in the modx_system_settings table. Try setting both to 0.

Then, delete all files in the core/cache directory and clear your browser cache *and cookies* before trying to log in again.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting