We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 40 Posts
    Just wondering if anyone knows the possibilities of getting more video meta data from YouTube using Vidlister.
    I'd like to get the video description basically.
    At the minute vidlister includes these tags - [[%vidlister.video.source]]: [[+source]]. [[%vidlister.video.duration]]: [[+duration.hh]]:[[+duration.mm]]:[[+duration.ss]] ([[+duration.seconds]]

Does anyone know if there's a kind of %vidlister.video.description tag?
      • 534 Posts
      As it seems from looking at the code, the description gets pulled in when vidLister requests the videos, so try to add a placeholder [[+description]], does that do anything? Tags with [[%...]] are just lexicon placeholders for translated strings, not placeholders for snippet output.
        • 40 Posts
        Hi thanks very much for your reply.

[[+description]] does indeed pull the description through.

Just need to learn how to use something like a .php substr() to only return part of the description.
          • 534 Posts
          No problem, actually good to know, because documentation doesn't mention this =)...

Depending on which part of the description you want you could maybe take a look at the output modifiers :limit=`` or :ellipsis=`` from here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Input+and+Output+Filters+(Output+Modifiers)
            • 40 Posts
            When I've finished my implementation using vidlister I intend to write a full tutorial on using it, as the instructions are somewhat limited.

I've just used the ellipsis filter and it works perfectly. Brilliant!

I think Vidlister is a really good add-on that just lacks concise instructions making it too daunting for people.
              • 534 Posts
              Glad you could use my inputs =)...

I like the tutorial idea, best it would be to add it directly to the rtfm...ask Kevin Marvin (kevin at modx.com) for an account, if you get one you can also contribute to the documentation of other projects if you think it's lacking information (which is occuring somewhat often =D)!
                • 40 Posts
                I'll definitely look into that.

Thanks again.