We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 119 Posts
    Hi guys! Just curious when the next MODxpo might be. Do they happen regularly or just whenever the organizers decide to do another one?
    Thanks!
    • As one of the organisers of the one in Utrecht in November, I personally don't have any plans yet for a next one. The Marketing team might be working on that but I haven't heard any concrete plans yet. Historically you could say they do happen at least every 2,5 years, but personally I'd love to see it happen a bit more often wink
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 119 Posts
        So would I! We really want to connect more with the community. I'll be on the look out for any future MODxpos. Thanks!
          • 143 Posts
          As a noob I can't justify a trip, but I could justify taking a few days off if a meetup was held locally - and I'm sure most people would say "yeah, have it in my town!"

Southern California is great year around. I usually don't even call this season "winter", I call it "rainy season", because I know what real winter is like. Through November it's like summer here, then it rains and gets chilly, and then in Feb-March it's great again. If anyone wants to get away from winter cold, gloom, and snow, this is the place to do it. Even in winter it's great to walk by the beaches, and there are amusement parks and other activities for family. Between LA, beach cities (Laguna, Newport, Huntington, etc) and San Diego, there are many venues for meetings and diversions for after-hours. In my area around Irvine you can easily do meetings during the day, spend time shopping and walking along the beach in the evening, and spend weekend time hiking in hills or driving around mountains.

It goes without saying that for the rest of the year the venues and diversions are the same but the weather is just better and better.

So the atmosphere around here is ideal for meetings year-around. I know nothing about meeting rooms, accommodations, etc. I guess such things depend on the size of the group, season, etc.

A completely different idea is the concept of moving toward virtualization in this 21st century. Make the best of Skype and other media for global online sessions, with webcams, one-to-many presentations, etc. This would allow for multiple meetings, at any time of year, and could help to strengthen the demand for a live Expo whenever it happens.
            Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
          • Yeah, but the actual physical gatherings have something that a "virtual" gathering can't match. I've attended virtual gatherings on Google+, and it just can't compare with what it was like in Utricht. Getting hugged by Ryan was enough to embarrass me by almost making me cry! And next time, instead of BobRay (I think it was) and me eying one another and wondering in the pub the night before, I'm going to march right up and ask. That was the first time I've traveled beyond a few hour's bus ride in more than 15 years. It was more than worth it, and I can't wait to do it again.

It's interesting to note that the expo in Utrecht started out as an envisioned small local gathering, with maybe 20 in attendance. Mark and Bert did a fantastic job of handling the expanding event.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 143 Posts
              I forgot to mention that local/national conferences shouldn't be sacrificed in favor of international conferences, and vice-versa. People in every country should plan their own sessions for those who can't travel too far and where language might be an issue. One can't assume that national sessions would be smaller than international sessions, or the other way around. There will be people at either or both. The only problem with these things is when someone blows their budget on one event and can't make it to another which might be equally compelling. That's why I was thinking of virtualizing as an option to keep costs down for some of these sessions.

As a fluent speaker of Esperanto I don't care where the sessions are hosted, as long as we're all speaking the same language, and it doesn't need to be English. smiley
                Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.