We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 143 Posts
    I might be wrong but it looks like the PM link isn't working right. I came into the forum here today and saw "no new PMs". After doing some other reading I happened to open my email client and it showed I have 2 new PMs. Sure enough, I did.

Since we're here...

Should notes like this be posted here, or in the tracker. I figure it's OK to start here to give people an opportunity to point out something I missed, or to get independent confirmation. With verification that there is a problem then perhaps a tracker item is warranted. I see a number of little things that I'm hoping are changed but I don't know if these things are on someone's list because of previous mentions in the forum, or if the rule is that if it's not in tracker that it's not a recognized issue. What's the general policy here?

Also, it would be nice to see a thread updated with recent changes to the Discuss software. I noticed that the styling of the "Welcome Back" dropdown was improved. Thanks!! It makes me wonder what else has changed for the better or worse.
      Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
    • There has been something wrong with the PM's since the forum migration to this new format. I posted a similar issue a while back with regards to sending PM's from a topic view not working...
        GEL STUDIOS
        MODX Professional | MODX Ambassador

Website | Email | Twitter | Facebook
      • I rarely log out of the forum. I'm a tab junkie, to my detriment at times, but more often than not even if I close some tabs, there's another open somewhere that keeps me logged in. I recently started using the log out function more, but every time I log out it seems like when I come back all the notifications are reset. It's not just the PM notifications. My guess is that you may have logged out without seeing the notice and it got reset when you came back today.

There's nothing wrong with checking in the forum first like this, even if only to get verification that it's not just you. Or don't bother and go directly to the tracker. If they can't reproduce it, they'll respond accordingly at the tracker.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
          "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
          Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
          • 338 Posts
          Yes, i've noticed this with "new posts"

During the day while my browser is open when I refresh the page all seems to work ok.

But when I open the site in the morning it always says no new posts, which seems unlikely.

Mike
            • 143 Posts
            About logging out - I never do. I simply close my browser. So it's possible that the "since last visit" code doesn't know that I've left the site so that it can tell me what's happened. However, it does know the last time I checked PMs, and it does know when new PMs have been posted, so I'd think it should still work.

To focus the report: I think new PMs are flagged, but postings to the end of an existing thread are not. So with an ongoing discussion, a new reply is not flagged as a "new PM".

@frogabog (maybe @sottwell) - I thought you were going to post some notes about some other issues related to this? I haven't seen related reports. For example, the counter shows open Questions and open Discussions, but what if people aren't clicking those buttons? I believe the default is Discussion, but are unspecified forum postings getting counted as open Discussions? And how are discussions closed anyway? Aren't they all open? smiley

I'd really like to see forum issues get clearly defined and put into tracker. This forum is a primary resource for everyone and we're all motivated to having highly-featured, top-quality community tools to save us time=money and to keep newcomers (like me!) from getting frustrated with the platform. What can we do to fast-track focused discussion, reports, and resolution of issues?

Thanks!
              Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.