We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 33 Posts
    I've been working on a development version of a live site. Just a short time ago I had a brain malfunction and I accidentally deleted the database from the live site instead of the dev site. No excuses, this was incredibly dumb.

I've restored the database of the live site using the development version but this is not ideal as there are differences between the two. I have a copy of the live db from a couple of days back but I can't get my hands on it just yet as it is stored locally on another machine.

As it stands, the live site looks OK and I'm assuming this will remain the case as long as the MODx cache isn't cleared. My real concern is that when I eventually restore the correct DB version I will encounter problems with a couple of the components, specifically Articles and Cliche. I'm particularly worried about losing months of posts from Articles and encountering errors from Cliche.

Should I take any precautions with either of these components before uploading the new database and clearing the MODx cache? Or is there anything else I should look out for?

In short, what should I do to ensure that when the correct db is restored that everything functions as before my horrendous mistake?

• The database from a couple days ago would include the Articles and the comments. I can't see how there would be any conflict with the components themselves. Restoring from database just restores the site exactly as it was. Same thing with moving a site, move the db in and you're up and running with all your data.

I think you'll be fine, but this should bump the post in case I'm not.
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 33 Posts
        Thanks for the response. I actually did manage to get a hold of the most recent backup and I've popped that in place. I've still not cleared the site cache though.
        • Take a copy of the core/cache folder before you clear it. Then replace it if it gorks. I don't think it will though. This is a common process. The db works out of the box, because the db rules your data.

Now you know how to move your sites, eh? :~}
            "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
            • 33 Posts
            Yes, I think that copying the core seems like the safest option.

Thanks very much Frogabog. You have restored my blood pressure levels to normal.
            • Glad to hear that.

I once ran a delete in FTP, thinking I was in the core/cache folder. I think I was actually in the core itself! I didn't notice it till it was into the core/packages folder and I couldn't tell you what was actually deleted. OMG!

I uploaded a new zip file, ran setup and the only problem I had was with the packages not finding the original transport.zip file after uploading new transport.zips exactly as they were before. Everything else ran without a hitch though.

I assume all is well now?