We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • This topic is to discuss Discuss, the first overhauled release of the forum software powering the MODX Community. It has driven conversations and community support at MODX.com for roughly two years. And while certainly not perfect, we hope it will be truly the most useful and usable tool to help you communicate and interact with the people that matter.

Here's a few guidelines and resources to help.

Expect frequent, iterative updates to Discuss, and please help define and develop its future. [ed. note: rethrash last edited this post 11 years, 3 months ago.]
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 6 Posts
      There were high hopes into this certainly great plugin. We have started larger project based on Discuss, but now we are concerned about future development: for several months no solved issues on tracker, no commits on Git, discussion here is in fact dead...
      Please let the community know if we should NOT rely on this plugin. Better now than later. Or maybe we can do something to speed it up?
      • We would love to see more contributors get involved. Discuss will absolutely continue, but without feedback and, well, discussion about it, it may not go in the direction you'd like to see. smiley
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 51 Posts
          Glad to hear that! smiley I also started a big project on Modx+Discuss and have high hopes about it.
            • 6 Posts
            We have started last year developing MODx forum solution for our client as combination of News publisher, Quip, Login and Formit. Althought we have reached public-beta state, we have stopped development in favor of Discuss. Although not the same solution, we believe in future of Discuss, it's scalability and extendability.

I suggest that development at the moment should focus on fixing at least major bugs, with aim to relase stable and production-usable version. Enhancements and optimisations should come after that, there will always be thinks to add and make better. But I believe that real-world usage will show us what is really needed and what is not. And real-world usage is not possible without stable version, although with limited features.
            Currently we are modifying some functionality in standard Discuss install, after testing we will post some suggestions for future releases.
              • 24,544 Posts
              How is this even possible?

This happens to me fairly regularly (and just happened again).

I visit the forums and need to log in again (even though I'm set to stay logged in). No big deal.

The "Since your last visit section says "no unread replies"

I click on it and it shows me six genuine unread replies.

As I read them, the "Since your last visit" section continues to show "no unread replies" and the clicking on the link continues to show me the remaining unread replies.

I would think that the code that calculates the number of unread replies for the link would be tapping the same data as the section that shows them to me.

I'm not positive about this, but I think the "new posts" link is also skipping posts I haven't seen.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • I've been suspecting the same for some time now. And every now and then I'll get a really old post in my "unread posts", like several years old.

I've just presumed the occasional need to log in again is due to a short time limit on the cookie or something.
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 436 Posts
                  Quote from: sottwell at Aug 06, 2013, 10:16 PM
                  I've been suspecting the same for some time now. And every now and then I'll get a really old post in my "unread posts", like several years old.

I've just presumed the occasional need to log in again is due to a short time limit on the cookie or something.

My top level modx domain cookie currently has an expiry time of a week, however there's a separate cookie for the forums which has a two year expiry date.
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    I've had to log in many times when the interval is less than a day. It may due to upgrading the Forum software.
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 81 Posts
                      Forum has not been upgraded during this summer. There are this and that which is blocking it or has postponed the upgrade.

One that most likely causes login issues is actually modx.com server. I have running version of latest version (though same worked on old) and I can close my browser and shutdown the whole server happily and still am logged in to discuss regarding of the changing variables.

Regarding the counters, they are same as during spring. Upgrade brings changes to them also, but that might still take a while unfortunately. I am looking into upgrade issues with Opengeek where if I have correctly understood. The problem is not discuss right now but more of customization of modx.com. But do not really know the full picture so do not take my words as absolute.