We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 143 Posts
    I need to see this one in action more, but I'm bringing it up for comment.

Assume you started a thread a few days ago and you're now checking the replies. Go to the unread replies list and click the link for that thread. I believe it jumps you to the last reply in that thread. You are forced to scroll up to see what you have missed. If there are multiple pages, you must click the link to go back one or more pages, find your post, and then read forward from there.

I believe the better mechanism would be to show Your last post as the first entry and allow you to read forward from there. It's not required to go through the complexity of updating the unread replies list with a link to the last post.

Is my observation incorrect, or is there room for a preference on this?

Thanks!
      Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
    • This is actually a new occurrence with the new forum as far as I can tell. It used to work just as you describe it should be working, so I'd think it's important.
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
      • What if you replied on page 1, and kept following the thread which is now on page 3? Would you want to be taken to your own last post, or to the last unread post? Gee, now we're talking! About exponentially complex (and quite possibly slow) code with a minor benefit, that is tongue

The best way is to be on these forums, like, all the time, so the unread replies bit only ever has one new post. Yep, that's the solution. Just be online more and you'll never have to go back pages to find your own post, and it will go straight to the right one!

:p

In all seriousness, I do like the idea but am not yet convinced it's worth the added complexity and amount of work.
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • My unread replies resets itself erratically. Not exactly the same issue, but since it just occurred again I figured to post here. I had 7 unread posts left, read one and boom... now I have none. Not even the old "MODX Unread Posts" button I have in my bookmarks toolbar worked, which usually does. I kept the bookmarked url because in the new forum, there is no unread posts link anymore. Just unread replies. New posts is not the same as unread posts.

Also, the old forum used to navigate to the last read post in a thread regardless of where or when you posted or read. Now, sometimes it sends you to the beginning of the thread, and others you end up at the last post even if you haven't read the 3 previous.

And, since I'm hijacking with multiple issues, here's another...

Unread PM's. If I send a PM, it shows that I have one unread PM. That's a little confusing...
            "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
          • Sorry, the unread posts button at the top is the same url as the bookmarked one. I didn't check that before I posted that it was missing. It's not missing, just moved.

Still isn't accurate. Having a heck of a time finding the 7 posts that disappeared. I think there should be a button for all posts regardless of whether they're discussions or questions. The posts with 0 replies should also include both questions and discussions as there's hardly a difference when looking for possible overlooked or lost posts. Additionally, 0 reply posts aren't the same as unanswered posts in terms of the "not responded to" issue where posters may feel ignored (but are really overlooked due to getting buried by active threads or viewers who can't answer/help).

• Dangit! I just saw that unread discussions actually takes you to all 0 reply posts regardless of if they're a question or a discussion. The only reason I realized that is because I saw my unreplied to post in both lists and I know I marked it as a question).

Unread questions gives a list of posts not marked as answered.

Maybe just change the link text to reflect this accurately?
              • Let's try and post bugs or proposed text changes in the tracker: tracker.modx.com/projects/discuss-skin/issues; one bug at a time. tongue Or if it's a discussion point looking for feedback like Starbuck started this thread, let's open a new thread per discussion point. Right now I'm uber confused with your last three posts (but will come back here another sober day).
                  Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                  • 143 Posts
                  @Frogabog, I've seen the 2-3 anomalies that you're describing and thought it was me. If you post a new thread(s) on the topic(s) we can work it down to a clear description for the tracker.

@Mark - OK, I wasn't thinking it through. smiley I haven't looked at the Discuss code to see how it determines the first unviewed posting for any given thread. There are many options there. Other FOSS forums seem to have this nailed down. Perhaps someone else can help. I just wanted to post an observation.
                    Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.