We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 143 Posts
    Twice within the last couple hours, I've hit preview and I was returned to the forum home page. Hitting Back doesn't repopulate the edit form. This is catastrophic. Please look into this. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe just the first time a preview is done for a new posting.

For everyone here, I always do a ctrl-a/ctrl-c to copy all text periodically, especially before clicking a button like Preview, Reply, Post, etc. You never know when you're going to spend a lot of time posting some wisdom or drivel, only to have it washed away by a bug. That's VERY disheartening, and chances are you won't try to write it again.

Thanks!
      Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
    • Keep that ctrl+A ctrl+C fail safe in your pocket and use frequently if you're using a touchpad mouse and win7. Because this field is not repopulated when you accidentally palm touch outside of the box and try to backspace.

Pizzes me off to no end... no real working solution to the touchpad win7 issue, and no repopulate here if you navigate away.
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
      • Starbuck,

Are you seeing this in all browsers? Sounds to me like it's a JS error as the likely culprit as it works for me without fail in Chrome (I didn't test it in other browsers and was not really part of the team that brought Discuss to fruition). Are you also referring to the release version of Discuss or the MODX forums or both? We may be able to enhance to have the data stored to the browser incase of the accidental departure too.
          Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
          • 143 Posts
          @Jay, it's happened a few times but isn't predictable and is non-repeatable on demand. I've been using FF but can start visiting forum with IE if that will help. This is with this site and not the addon. I don't have a lot of other insight to offer but I'll be happy to help if I can. Thanks.
            Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
            • 143 Posts
            Just happened a few times again, lost a huge post in preview, was able to recover, but then on Reply it lost it again and I was not able to recover. sad Will try using IE for forum for a while.
            • I'd really like to see this field repopulated regardless of if it's preview or not. Lost far too many posts with accidental back space after inadvertently palming outside of the field.
                Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
              • As mentioned before, that sounds like a javascript error. I've just pushed a fix to the repository that should at least prevent it from going to the homepage if a random error exists. https://github.com/modxcms/Discuss/commit/1d3e97c46bf0aa79da2e7d51d5c7f21014472622 I'll try to upgrade the forums here later this or early next week.

It would help to track down the javascript error that is happening though; I know there's an error in shCore.js but that isn't causing any issues other than the console log entry.
                  Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                  • 143 Posts
                  Rather than running IE (I really didn't want to do that) I'll run Firebug while I'm in here. It just happened yet again in another thread and then again while trying to post this response. I can almost predict when it's going to happen but can't put my finger on why.
                    • 143 Posts
                    Just logging the pattern here:

1. When I open a UL or OL in the reply form, discuss.js throws an error on line 224 that this function is invalid: textarea.trigger('autosize');
                    2. shCore.js is constantly throwing a "can't convert undefined to object" error on line 20: var XRegExp. I believe it's variable 'n' in that minified code that's the problem. This happens on just about every page load.
                    3. On clicking Preview, when it resets back to the forum main page, there is no error. However, if I go back to the same thread and paste in the same text and press Preview again, it throws an error from jquery.min.js, "JSON.parse, unexpected character". The jQuery error is not thrown the first time.
                    These errors are chronic, and while not 100% repeatable on demand, they're all occurring frequently (since I'm posting something new every 2 minutes here. wink ).

For now I'm going to stop pursing this one so I can get on to other things.