We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 85 Posts
    Hi,

Have create a new user and given permissions so that they can view, edit, create documents and files.

In those documents I have some TV's that you can edit the text files and save no problem but the image TV's will not let you amend as per the images below:

When logged in with the usser the Image TV looks like this:

And how they should look like, as shown when logged in as the administrator:

Here is a list of some of the permissions I have enable for that user:

delete_tv
    directory_create
    directory_list
    edit_category
    edit_tv
    file_create
    file_list
    file_manager
    file_remove
    file_tree
    file_update
    file_upload
    file_view
    new_document
    new_tv
    save
    save_tv
    veiw_document
    veiw_tv

When logged in as a user I can go to the file manager and upload, save and delete images to the paths that are shown in the image TV's

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

This question has been answered by mflammia. See the first response.

• 85 Posts
      I have managed to work out what is going on here and how to fix it but with a big problem.

I started by giving the user administrator privileges and this did not correct the issue but got me thinking it must have to do with the media source path. The image URL to the images in the TV had been set whilst logged in as the administrator so they looked like this assets/images/dynamic/banner/imageName but when logged in as the user the media path that i created would mean this url is like this banner/imageName and where the problem must lie.

I tried changing in the image template variable itself, under the tab for media source, the context. What I would really expect to see is the ability to have a context for mgr and set the source to be my newly created media source, but as you can see from the image below it only has web. I change the source from filesystem to the new media source and logged back in as the user and I was then able to add / amend the path to the image under banner/imageName!!!

But this caused a problem loading the webpage so I had to log in as the administrator to change it back, where ALL the paths in all the image TV's had disappeared and I had to set them all over again.

Strange right, possibly a bug?

Now running Revo 2.2.6-pl but same was happening in 2.2.5-pl
      • Are you using a MIGx TV for this, or separate image TVs for each image?
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
          • 151 Posts
          This looks like a media source problem to me. I had a similar issue and it rooted in the media source.
            MODX...the Zen of CMS
            "Bight off more than you can chew and keep right on chewing."
            • 85 Posts
            Thanks for posting.

I have MIGx installed but I'm using it, yet.

It doeas seem like a media source issue, did you manange to resolve yours?
            • What if you create a new access policy by duplicating the administrator policy without changing any permissions and then assigning it to your web admin user group. Does this make any difference in how the image TVs are displayed?
                Benjamin Davis: American web designer living in Munich, Germany and a MODX Ambassador. I am also co-founder of SEDA.digital, a MODX Agency.
                • 85 Posts
                Have set the user to 'Duplicate of Administrator' policy as per below but still experiencing the problem:

and a few more snap shots

and also under the user group, media source tab you have this which I thought was strange

yet if I add an entry I get this which is a bit odd?

but the media source client images exists as per below and when I login in as the user the files display as programmed.

• discuss.answer
                  • 85 Posts
                  Have finally managed to find a way around this, it seems very quirky though but hopefully this will be useful to someone.

First I gave my user administrator rights so that I can make changes without having to keep logging in and out as the administrator - Security, Access Controls, Right Click your access group and select update, context access, select your context (my is mgr) and set the policy to Administrator.

Now log in as your user.

Go to Elements, Template Variables and select your image variable. Then go to your Media sources tab, mine looked like the following although you may see Filesystem instead of 1 (As per below)

You will have to double click the 1 to change it. For some reason the first time you do this it won't let you select anything but do it again and your media source will appear and you can select and save as per below:

Now be aware!!!!!! Any image TV's that you have set a path for in your Media Source will ALL disappear at this point. I confirmed this by looking at the MODX database under modx_site_tmplvr_contenvalues.

When you then go to your resource and look at the image TV's you will now see that the image path is selectable! You can then choose a path thats set out in your Media Source as per below:

As you can see the path for this image is now set as banner/residential.jpg instead of assets/image/dynamic/banner/residential.jpg as I believe is the initial problem.

You will have of course have to change every media source type in every image TV to the Media Source you want and set the path for every image in the resource and change your user policy back to what it was. [ed. note: mflammia last edited this post 11 years, 4 months ago.]
                    • 19 Posts
                    Hi,
                    thanks, this post help me to solve the same problem with image TV;
                    but using MIGX the problem remain. Do you have any ideas.

Thanks.