We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • At MODXpo 2012 I started discussing the MODX Ambassador program. In short, the Ambassadors will be people that are passionate about MODX, and sharing their enthusiasm with their local communities or in virtual special interest groups. Please read my latest blog for a few more details about it.

One of the things that would be very useful would be to have a way to easily manage ad hoc groups of people around regions or special interest groups. MODX users could join or leave these groups at will and without hassle. This really wouldn't be all that dissimilar to how Meetup.com works, but we'd like to keep it within MODX—we have some other things in the works where an integration would not be optimal.

I don't really think we need a full blown mini-social network with dedicated "walls" for each group, but I'm not opposed to that either (if that's what would make the Ambassadors lives easier) … we can always have dedicated Forum topics for the various groups, too. We'd definitely like to be able to integrate with MailChimp/Mandrill to send out notices of events to the various individuals, and we need a way to schedule and take RSVPs to events (and email those that are attending important updates or event reminders).

Has anyone built something like this or have an idea about the best approach? Please share any feedback or ideas on how to make the Ambassador program an effective way to spread, connect and strenghten the MODX community.
    [ed. note: smashingred last edited this post 11 years, 3 months ago.]
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
    • Hi Ryan,
      I like the idea of MODX ambassador!

Anyway as somebody commented in your blog 6 meetings could be too many...

I think one of the first thing to do to promove MODX across the world should be the translation of some manuals or of some important sections of rtfm.modx.com

Also a localized version of the official site could help to spread, maybe only some pages.

Thanks for your efforts with MODX!
        TilliLab | MODX Ambassador
        website
      • Wouldn't it be awesome to meet fellow MODXers every other month, though? wink That's still a long time in between each event, especially if someone can't make it to one, it's skipped once for Christmas or other holidays, or there's been some great announcements in between that people want to discuss. tongue
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • Goals of getting more people together, more often, are indeed just that: goals. I don't think at this point I can find any benefit in making them hardcore requirements—but it does give us guidance in helping select ambassadors around the world that are willing to accept the challenge! wink It's a great topic to discuss and we will in another thread, so thanks for bringing it up.

But back to the topic of this thread of what system has anyone seen or can think of that wouldn't require a hurclean effort to implement to help manage the ad hoc groups/calendars/RSVPs?
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • I think this is a good idea, but not sure if I have seen a solution close enough to what you are after. Would Diaspora* be an option? https://joindiaspora.com/
            • It sure might be. I'll have to look into it for sure, thanks for the pointer. In the interim, if you or anyone else has an opinion of its applicability, we're all ears.
              • Ah, there it is smiley

There is a russian guy who wrote an email to someone at MODX. Now, he's searching on twitter for an opportunity to get in touch with MODX to become a partner. Maybe he's a good candidate for "first contact" in russian speaking countries.
                • Thanks Guido. Can you give him my contact details please?

Update: NM, see the Tweet. Thanks!
                    • 143 Posts
                    Everyone is an ambassador. Related comment here.

Loved ModX when I was using it a few years ago. Shifted to WordPress, sorry. Thanks, all.
                    • Great post over there Starbuck. Thanks. smiley