We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 270 Posts
    Hi, I'm just getting my head into the capabilities of MIGX so please bear with me. I'd like to ask about the feasibility of the following requirement:

Lets say we have a field: Topics
    This field should pull in a list of options in checkbox format from a custom db table.

Option 1 [ ]
    Option 2 [ ]
    Option 3 [ ]

When a user selected an option(s), a further field "Criteria" (with radio buttons) should display side-by-side with the chosen option(s), for example:

Option 1 [X] - Criteria: ( ) High (*) Medium ( ) Low
    Option 2 [X] - Criteria: ( ) High ( ) Medium (*) Low
    Option 3 [X] - Criteria: (*) High ( ) Medium ( ) Low

So Option 1 has a criteria of "Medium" assigned.

The idea would then be to write a snippet that can cycle through the selected options and criteria and sort resources accordingly but that's another story.

Could the above "related" fields feature be achieved with MIGX?
      • 5,888 Posts
      There are several ways to do something like this with MIGX or with MIGXdb.

The easiest to configure option would be to use a MIGX-TV and have MIGX-items for each selected option.
      In the MIGX-form (where you add or edit items) you could have a listbox-field with @EVAL or @SELECt-binding,
      where you can choose the option. Then you could have this radio-buttons where you can select the Criteria.

you can add, remove, sort, edit all options. You could also add another field with an 'active' - state, if that is needed.

At frontent you will get records with selected options and you could use the getImageList-snippet or a custom-snippet to generate the TV-filters or what else you will need there.

The MIGXdb - way could show a grid with all possible options directly from your db.
      You could have an activate/deactivate-menue-option for each row and an option where you select the Criteria for this relation.
      The datas would not be stored in a TV as json, as it is done by the MIGX-TV, but in a custom join-table.

The second way is more configuration involved, but you could have real join-relations between table-records/resources
        -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
        • 270 Posts
        That's great to hear Bruno - thanks for the explanation.