We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 322 Posts
    I uploaded a site to a client's server (not a hosting service I've used before), and here's what happens. After logging into the manager, as long as I stay in the Manager I can edit as much as I want. As soon as I view just one page on the front end, I get logged out of the Manager. What could the problem be? I haven't had this problem with any other host.
    • Check all your times. Server time, php and mySQL should all be set to match time. I ran into this on an incompatible server and found all these timezone settings to be different. In the end I had to move the site off the server anyway.

You can run this script to show all three time settings.

<?php
      //get the values we need to log into the mySQL server with
      include 'core/config/config.inc.php';

//php date
      $arr['php'] = date("F j, Y, g:i a");

//mysql
      $link = mysql_connect($database_server, $database_user, $database_password);
      if (!$link) {
          die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
      }
      if (!mysql_select_db($dbase)) {
          die('Could not select database: ' . mysql_error());
      }
      //get the mySQL time
      $result = mysql_query("SELECT NOW();");
      if (!$result) {
          die('Could not query:' . mysql_error());
      }
      $arr['time'] = mysql_fetch_array($result);

//returns the system timezone.
      $result = mysql_query("SELECT @@system_time_zone;");
      if (!$result) {
      }
      $arr['systimezone'] = mysql_fetch_array($result);

//returns the session timezone if it differs from the system timezone.
      $result = mysql_query("SELECT IF(@@session.time_zone = 'SYSTEM', @@system_time_zone, @@session.time_zone);");
      if (!$result) {
      }
      $arr['sestimezone'] = mysql_fetch_array($result);
      mysql_close($link);

$times = 'php time is: '.$arr['php'].'
      ';
      $times .= 'mySQL time is: '.$arr['time'][0].'
      ';
      $times .= 'mySQL system timezone is: '.$arr['systimezone'][0].'
      ';
      $times .= 'mySQL session timezone is: '.$arr['sestimezone'][0].'
      ';

return $times;
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 322 Posts
        I ran the script and got two times, which match (php time and mysql time).
        • It should have shown the server time as well (I think, I remember three times showing)

Maybe a call to the host is in order.
            "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
            • 322 Posts
            Looking at your script, the variable $times is constructed from just the php time and mysql time, plus system and sesssion timezones (which also matched when I ran the script).
            • Yeah, I saw that too (which is why I stuck the "I think" in there). Although when I ran it on that server, for some reason I thought I got three different times listed in the result. Obviously I am not remembering correctly.

I didn't write the script. As if... heh
                • 322 Posts
                It turns out the problem was because the hosting company had database caching turned on. They turned it off, and all is well.
                • Quote from: rainbowtiger at Nov 19, 2012, 07:32 PM
                  It turns out the problem was because the hosting company had database caching turned on. They turned it off, and all is well.
                  What kind of database caching did they have turned on?