We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 85 Posts
    Hi,

New user to MODX so still finding my feet, but loving it smiley

The website is pretty much built but just trying to tie down access to the manager so that the user can only edit the content on a select set or resources. When looking through the polices on the surface the access policy named 'Resource' seems to be what I need, but having problems selecting it under context access of the new user and role I have created.

Running MODX Rev 2.2.4-pl

To see the policies I go to:

Security->Access Controls->Access Policies

There is a policy named 'Resource'.

To assign it I go to:

Security->Access Controls->User Groups

I right click to update my new user group

Then click 'Context Access', and then update the 'mgr' context that I have set the minimum role to User_Role 9, although setting this to Super User -0 or Member-999 makes no difference, the problem then comes about when selecting 'Access Policy' , as all the polices display instead of the 'Resource' policy?

Appreciate your help in advance.

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 24,544 Posts
      There are two basic kinds of Policies: context, and object. The context ones (based on the Administrator Policy) control what the user can do in general in the Manager. The object Policies determine what users can do with an object (see it, save it, duplicate it, etc.).

Context Access ACL entries only use context Policies and the Resource Policy is an object policy, that's why it doesn't show up there.

The way to control access to Resources is to put them in a Resource Group and put the users in a User Group, then create a Resource Group Access ACL entry where you can specify some version of the Resource policy.

There's lots more info on MODX Revolution permissions at the site in my sig. Look in the menu under MODX -> MODX Security Permissions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 85 Posts
        Thanks for the advise - only on chapter 7 snippets and plugins, so not got to the security section yet ;-)

I ended up going to your website and following the guides and examples that put me straight.

Cheers.