We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 116 Posts
    I've been developing in the latest incarnation of modx for a few days now, and have noticed from time to time that I get unsightly errors in places there never used to be. Is this a general lack of error-handling in the newer modx, or is it a sign of a problem.

Secondly, I can't log in under any user other than the one I created first. The other user exists in the MySQL table, with the correct settings, but whenever I try it always stays on the log in screen. Yet it never registers as a failed log in attempt.

I'm starting to doubt modx's robustness - or is this just an unfortunate install?
    • What kind of errors exactly? Errors don't happen without reason and try as I might... I can't even convince myself that trolls live in MODX because there's always a reasonable explanation or solution for errors.

For your users, you will have to specify a resource group and role for every new user, or they will not be able to log in. If you haven't created user groups, all you have to choose from is the Administrator group so consider stepping into the deep world of MODX permissions if you'll have any users other than the admin with full rights to everything.

Look at http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Security for information about users and permissions. Bob's Guides and all the tutorials there is also an essential read... read... read....and read again :~}

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
      • It'd help to know what errors exactly smiley Every error is one too many though, so if you find anything make sure it gets filed in the bugtracker so it can be resolved: http://tracker.modx.com/projects/revo/

As for logging in, it indeed sounds like it doesn't have a usergroup attached to it and therefore (while it does login) it doesn't get access to the manager, so it will show you what you do have access to.. which is a login form.
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • FWIW:

Before MODX 2.2 releases, we specifically set error_reporting to specific values, and display_errors Off in many places. Now, this depends on your php.ini settings to allow for more flexible debugging configuration based on what it should be: the environment settings, overridden only where needed by MODX itself.

If you are seeing PHP Notices/Warnings in places you did not before, make sure your environment has an appropriate error_reporting level and perhaps set display_errors off. MODX will log errors appropriately to it's own error log based on the log_level you set in System/Context settings.
            • 116 Posts
            Thanks for all the feedback. It's been a while since I last developed in Modx and it's changed quite a bit in that short time - mostly for the better I'm pleased to say.

The user issue was indeed a missing "mgr" context - I assumed it would be enabled by default, perhaps it was in older versions..?

As for the other error messages, it started getting disconcerting when setting a TV's output to "galleryItem", and a PHP error would appear in the back-end - thankfully with no obvious repercussions. Then MIGX was being uncooperative... but is behaving very well now.

I think, in short, it was as opengeek points out a change in error-handling I wasn't aware of, coupled with a few minor but unexpected changes.

All is well.