We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 98 Posts
    I have been trying to set up Use friendly URLs but in the system settings when I change the setting Use Strict Friendly URLs to Yes all looks ok however the FURLs dont show then I find if I check the system settings again it shows Use Strict Friendly URLs set to NO.

I can change other setting like Use Strict Friendly URLs to yes and no and they remain at what ever they have been set as.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on.

Cheers

Ian
    • You can keep trying till it sticks (refresh to check before you navigate away), or you can go directly to the site_settings table in the database and set it there. This particular issue is intermittent, and in my experience persistence usually wins. I haven't yet had to resort to mucking about in the table.

Or, download 2.2.5 and see if that fixes it.
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 98 Posts
        oh Yes of course I have managed to change the setting in the database that done the trick.

Kept trying the proper way but ut would not update it.

Many thanks
        • I haven't seen this yet in 2.2.5, so there's a chance it's been fixed. If you see it again, consider upgrading. Actually, consider upgrading anyway. :~}
            "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
            • 98 Posts
            Hi Frogabog

Just for an update i have upgraded to 2.2.5 and although I still cant change the friendly url setting unless I do it via the phpadmin it did solve 2 other problems I had with uploading images in the gallery scripts and another issue to do with linking to pages so something was not correct somewhere.

I still have a few issues getting the friendly urls to work once I turn them on as al the pages tend to point to the home page however thats no doubt another post on that one.

Thanks again for your advice.

Many thanks

Ian
            • Insofar as FURL's, I just figured out why some pages aren't appended to .html.

In the system settings, the container suffix is defaulted to forward slash, which sets any container to that suffix. If you want the container page url to append to .html instead of / (i.e. http://yoursite.com/container/), remove that slash.

Reverting to the home page is better than 501 errors front and back end. That means, it just can't locate the page. Look at your .htaccess file.

Also, just to be sure... when you change a site setting, are you making sure there's a red tick before navigating away? I also clear the cache if I'm concerned about a setting taking hold. I'm not sure when it's needed for site settings but I play cautious.
                • 98 Posts
                Evening

Thanks for the removing the slash but that furls dont want to work at all.

BTW I checked on the FURL after changing the setting to on and it does show the red marker however on the last modified date that is not updated so I now when I refresh the page it will show as turned off again however everything else can be changed and it real easy to change the setting via phpadmin.

I just uploaded the standard ht.access file that comes with the package changed it to .htaccess made sure my template head section has <base href="http://www.mysitename.co.uk/" /> and turned on the furl and cleared the site cache but it still makes all the pages point to the homepage I have no idea on that.

Anyway thanks for the info

All the best

Ian
                • Ah, that's probably it.

Use this in your head instead:

<base href="[[++site_url]]" />

• 98 Posts
                    Ah sorry my bad thats the output the template does have this

<base href="[[!++site_url]]" />

Excuse my poor explanation

• Is the site in a subfolder?