We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone else is facing performance issues with the template variable type Auto-Tag?

Indeed we’re using Auto-Tag type to manage a TV which contains a lot of different available tags (about 135) and our site contains more than 2k resources (modDocument). When we load a resource to edit it, the page takes more than 10 seconds to be displayed. We figured out that 5 seconds of this loading time was caused by this Auto-Tag TV. 1 second to get the resource collection and 4 to process it into one distinct list of tag.

Moreover we’re facing an identical issue on the front-end when using the add-on tagLister to create a tag cloud.

Obviously during the very first months of life of our website this performance issue was not visible because we had less tags and less resources.

We’re stuck with this issue. If anyone has a clue on how to “fix” it that will be a great help!
    • Hello,

Could you tell us some about your hosting environment, perhaps there is something on that side that can be tweaked. In regards to the frontend I would look at getCache and perhaps uncacher (http://modx.com/extras/package/uncacher) to help with the load speeds.
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 3 Posts
        Hello,

I completely forget to describe our environment sorry…

Environment:
        PHP 5.2.14 (mod_php) with Apache 2.2.3 on Red Hat EL 5 (64 bits)
        MySQL 5.1.54-community
        MODx 2.2.4-pl
        Dedicated virtual server with 6GB Ram and 8 virtual cpu cores.

In regards to the frontend, you’re right. We’re currently studying a more granular cache (I’ll definitely take a look at uncacher extra). However we can’t afford to have a tag cloud that took so much time to load the first time. Besides, loading time will increase with the increase in the number of resources.
          • 5,888 Posts
          I think you could create a extra table, which holds all used tags and a plugin, which actualises its entries by onDocFormSave and some other System-Events

To get the tags into a multiple-listbox-TV you could use a @SELECT or @EVAL-binding
          To create new tags, use a extra TV, which you can read by the onDocFormSave - plugin

at frontend you could use rowboat, for example, to get the tags into the tagcloud.

This should generate the tags in frontend and backend much faster.
            -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
            • 3 Posts
            Hi,

we have actually implemented a custom solution such as the one you describe. We no more use AutoTag nor tagLister.The performance gain is important in front-end and back-end, lss than one second for each treatment which took several seconds.