We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Good afternoon all.

Before responding, please keep in mind that i'm extremely new to MODx!

I recently went about setting up a MODx revolution installation. Initially, i couldn't get it working, so settled to doing most of my template design in an Evolution install. A few days ago, i did get revolution working and so switched over what i'd done.

Now, onto the issue. I recently installed Quip from the package manager inside Revo. I then added the following onto my "blog/content" template;
    [[Quip? &thread=`blogpost[[*id]]`]]
    <p>
    [[!QuipReply? &thread=`blogpost[[*id]]`]]</p>

To verify it was working, i tried to add a random comment to one of my lorem ipsum test articles. The default name in the name field was "Default Admin User" and the email was the email associated with the account. Unfortunately, when i tried to post the comment, i got the following error in red text next to the words "Email" in the QuipReply form;
    Your submission was blocked by a spam filter: Ip

I then tried an email address NOT on my domain, and used a name not related to the account and once again, got the same issue.

As such, i did what i thought was the right thing and headed over to Components > Quip in the manager (i initially searched through system settings). Unfortunately, after an initial load period, i was presented with this in a standard Revo. message box;
    Unexpected identifier: Error Code: 500
    The URL /modx_revo/assets/components/quip/connector.php
    on [My Domain] caused an internal server error

/modx_revo/ is the folder i'm housing the installation in while i work on developing it (because as long as i've got the templates and extras all working, i don't mind installing a new copy in root instead of migrating and moving my content separately from my existing Joomla! installation once development is done). I was hoping to be presented with some fantastic options for filters and general Quip config. but alas, just an error message. The referrer of the error message is /modx_revo/manager/index.php?a=79.

There were some errors in the console output during Quip installation (fields already exist, etc) but i'm told that's standard and that "Install successful" is all that matters.

As an additional point, i could only get Revo. installed via Softaculous in CPanel. Trying to install manually led to error 500 after i'd input my database details and clicked submit (whereas Evolution has had no such issues). I tried both zip upload > expand and manual batch upload of the folder itself, but it made no difference to the outcome.

I'm hosting with TSOHost (using their Linux Pro package) and using CloudFlare (though CloudFlare is disabled for the /modx_revo/ directory). I'd very much like to get Quip working. My intent is to allow anonymous comments (as i don't want to enforce user registration for my site) but also to be able to post under my own name as responses. CloudFlare pretty much takes care of the bad visitors, and i can always sort out some filtering if spam does become an issue. However, i can't do any of this unless i can get Quip working. Any help would be appreciated.