We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 77 Posts
    Just installed a Revo install using SimpleScripts on Bluehost.
    Everything went smoothly with the install, but the manager will not log me in though.

Any ideas what I can check?

I've used the simplescripts install for WP and it works flawlessly.
    Not sure what to check then, maybe there was a setting that needed tweaked.
    This is what they call an Addon domain on BlueHost, anybody familiar with their hosting.

thanks for any suggestions.
      MODx Revo 2.1 and done!
    • I'd start in the database, see what username it installed with. Did you set the username or was it set for you? The account username might be what it used instead of what you wanted it to use.

Manual installation is not an option? I've had nothing but issues with a simpleScripts install lately (it used an ancient nonexistent server path, much has been gorked as a result, including packages looking for the stupid path and a duplicate copy of the core, manager, and connectors directories within the working directories). I won't be using it again if I can help it.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 77 Posts
        Thanks for the suggestions, all sound spot on.
        Will check on these maybe later today and report back.

For commercial installs I just love a good 1-click setup if there are no headaches with it.
          MODx Revo 2.1 and done!
          • 77 Posts
          Hey Frogabog (all),
          Following up on the Bluehost MODX Revo simple scripts install.

The Good news was I got the script to work.

The bad news the manager works but only at:
          parentdomain.com/crssp-folder/manager

But not at the add-on domain URL of ...
          crssp.com/manager

What do I need to edit, friendly URL's, or context, or htaccess.

Not entirely sure, wondering if the folks at bluehost.com know enough about MODX to help.

Thanks, for any suggestions. [ed. note: tzmedia last edited this post 11 years, 8 months ago.]
            MODx Revo 2.1 and done!
            • 77 Posts
            How would I know if it is just a few paths that needs corrected.
            Looking at the Manager page, I can see it is adding a root slash to the front of some of the paths.
            /crssp-folder/manager/assets/etc.

Crssp-folder is actually my root folder for this setup. hmmm anybody, suggestions.
            Going to try bluehost support too.

Bluehost explains their Addon domain hosting as such:

As such, if your main domain was 'abc.com' and you assign the Addon Domain '123.com' to the folder '123', the following routes (URLs) would be true:
            abc.com/123
            123.abc.com
            123.com

i am trying to force modx to treat all resources as strictly 123.domain then, or crssp.com to be accurate? [ed. note: tzmedia last edited this post 11 years, 8 months ago.]
              MODx Revo 2.1 and done!
            • Looks like you've got a standard subdirectory install of MODX. In this case, what you're describing is absolutely normal.

Is there a reason you wanted it in a subfolder? If this is a new site, the root would be a good place to install it, otherwise you'll need to use .htaccess to display the site url without the subfolder showing.

see this thread for more information on developing in subfolders (follow links within to other threads for specific.htaccess rules):
              http://forums.modx.com/thread/?thread=73954#dis-post-410673
                Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
                • 77 Posts
                The addon domain is much like a sub-domain it's in a folder.
                In otherwords I don't want the URL for my pages being something like blahblahblahtest.com/crssp-ty/pages
                It's supposed to be just crssp.com/pages.
                The installation is adding rootslashes that prevent it from working correctly, sort of.
                Make sense?
                I think I need to do something with htaccess or maybe friendly URL's, or contexts.

Maybe I should just try a regular install, to see if it doesn't convolute all the paths.

Pretty much what you suggested in your first reply there.

If I had to log in to the manager at the long path name, but the pages still showed up as Crssp.com pages, that would be fine, but not sure how to test that.
                Grab a site package I guess maybe?
                My host had no suggestions, at least on the first chat support attempt.
                :(
                  MODx Revo 2.1 and done!
                  • 77 Posts
                  Awesome and a shout out to Clayton at Bluehost.
                  HE came through like a champ on chat support with this fix, and I'm off and running.

Clayton: Cool. I was able to make that change at /actual-path-stuff-here/crssp-folder/core/config/config.inc.php
                  Clayton: if (!defined('MODX_BASE_PATH')) {
                  $modx_base_path= '/actual-path-stuff here/crssp-folder/';
                  $modx_base_url= '/';
                  define('MODX_BASE_PATH', $modx_base_path);
                  define('MODX_BASE_URL', $modx_base_url);
                  }

Thanks also Frogabog, I'ld love to have the simplescript installation, for ease of use, but probably advisable to just go it manual, as stated.
                  Thanks one and all!
                    MODx Revo 2.1 and done!
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    If the path isn't rewritten properly for the Manager, the odds are that it won't be for the front-end either.

I have sites in subdirectories at Bluehost and everything is accessible as mydomain.com, so that's definitely possible.

One quick check would be to put an index.html file in the MODX root with this content:

<h2>I'm in the MODX root</h2>

Then go to crssp.com/index.html in your browser and see if the message shows up. If not, Bluehost doesn't have the virtual domain set up properly -- nothing to do with MODX.

Assuming that that works, check this:

In the .htaccess site in the MODX root (where the manager and core directories are) should have a section that looks like this (assuming that you have Friendly URLs on):

#Options +FollowSymlinks
                    RewriteEngine On
                    RewriteBase /

# Rewrite www.domain.com -> domain.com -- used with SEO Strict URLs plugin
                    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} .
                    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^crssp\.com [NC]
                    RewriteRule (.*) http://crssp.com/$1 [R=301,L]

The directory *above* the MODX root directory (public_html) doesn't need an .htaccess file. If there's one there, it probably shouldn't have any rewrite rules.

One other thing to consider is the FURL settings. If FURLs are turned on in the modx_system_settings table, you need an .htaccess file with the rewrite rule above. If FURLs are off, you shouldn't have an .htaccess file in the MODX root.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 77 Posts
                      Thanks for the reply Bob. My previous post was a little celebratory, I think everything is A-ok.
                      Thanks for the additional info, I'm sure it will come in handy.
                      I'm a little rusty on my install process, and this is a new host for me.

I don't have Friendly URL's on yet, but no reason I shouldn't then, thanks for the help.
                        MODx Revo 2.1 and done!