We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 36 Posts
    Hi There,

I'm currently redesigning our companies website in MODx but I've hit a potential problem. I'm using template variables for our homepage so that we can update the content of some featured work much easier.

I've created three template variables called the following:

[[*Featured Work 1 - Title]]
    [[*Featured Work 2 - Title]]
    [[*Featured Work 3 - Title]]

I've put them into separate categories which were basically 'Homepage > Featured Work > Work 1', 'Homepage > Featured Work > Work 2' and 'Homepage > Featured Work > Work 3'.

When setting them up, I forgot to assign them to the homepage for template access so just went back to go and try and change it but I can't see the template variables in the menu down the left.

I've tried expanding all the folders and looking in the category folders but they look empty. I thought at first that maybe they hadn't been created but when I try to create them again it says there are already TVs made with those names.

I've got quite a lot of experience with MODx but never seen this issue before. I just wondered if:

A) Anyone has come across this issue and managed to fix it?
    B) There is another way to access the TVs to update them and fix them?
    C) Why it's happened?

The only thing I can assume is that MODx doesn't like the fact the TVs are burried in a folder structure that's 3 deep?

Any help would be great!

Kind regards,
    Lewis
    • Do you see the category folder that you set up for these? And, have you got any permissions set up yet? They might have become hidden from you if so.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 483 Posts
        I run into this issue with Categories, Templates and Template Variables. If I have a Template or TV in a category more than 1 deep, with no Template or TV in the parent category, they disappear. I solve this by creating "dummy" Templates or TVs in the parent category.
          Website: Extended Dialog Development Blog: on Extended Dialog
          Add-ons: AJAX Revolution, RO.IDEs Editor & Framework (in works) Utilities: Plugin Compatibility List
          Tutorials: Create Cross-Context Resources, Cross-Context AJAX Login, Template-Based Actions, Remove Extensions from URLs

Failure is just another word for saying you didn't want to try. "It can't be done" means "I don't know how".