We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 119 Posts
    Hi!
    I'm testing out Revo for our site and I've started getting a blank white screen after I log in to the manager. It installed successfully and I've logged in and done a decent amount of work with it. I tend to leave it logged in so I've only gone through the log in process once or twice. I tried to log in from a different computer today and I got a 500 error after entering my credentials and submitting. I turned on error reporting in .htaccess and it gave me a blank white screen. I got on another computer where I was already logged in to the manger and I was still logged in and able to interact with the manager normally. I logged out and tried to log back in and got the blank white screen there too. I cleared everything from core/cache/ and tried again but got the same result. I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

• Disable .htaccess (rename) entirely, see if that helps. If it does, then debug .htaccess. Does the front end work?

Also try disabling compress_css and compress_js in system settings. If you can't get to the system settings via the manager, you can set both to 0 in the system_settings table.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 119 Posts
        Okay, I disabled .htaccess in httpd.conf and restarted the server but it still gives me the 500 error on log in. Then I changed the compress_css and compress_js settings to 0 in the database but still no dice.
        • Did you clear the cache folder?
            Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
            "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
            Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
            • 119 Posts
            I did. I checked the permissions on config.inc.php as well and they're set to 644. Is this correct?
              • 24,544 Posts
              Did you clear your browser cache and cookies? A leftover cookie can cause all kinds of weirdness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 119 Posts
                I did but it didn't help. I first discovered the problem when logging in from a computer that I had never tried to log in from before so I didn't expect it to but it never hurts.
                • discuss.answer
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  We're getting into a fringe area here. If it were me, my next steps would be these (deleting all files in the core/cache directory and clearing the browser cache/cookies, then testing the login after each step):

1. Run Setup in upgrade mode.

In PhpMyAdmin

2. Repair all tables
                  3. Turn off friendly URLs in the modx_system_settings table and rename .htaccess
                  4. In the modx_site_plugins table, disable all plugins.

If none of that works, I'd ask the host if something has changed lately (e.g., installing suPHP, change in mod_security settings).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.

[ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 11 years, 8 months ago.]
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 119 Posts
                    Hey! It's working again!

I had run setup in upgrade mode and cleared the cache previously with no luck but I had not tried steps 2,3 and 4 that you mentioned. Unfortunately I did all three of them at once and then cleared the cache directory again instead of clearing and checking after each step like I should have so I don't know which step did the trick but one of them definitely did it!

Thanks a ton!

Edit:
                    I've gone through one-by-one and re-enabled everything, logging out and back in after each step, and everything seems to be fine now. My guess is that I changed something things, very likely in the FURL area and/or htaccess, and then continued to use the manager without logging out. I think I may have even restarted the server once and found, after restart, that my session in the manger was still active so I just continued to use it. Some combination of these things must have screwed something up somewhere that clearing the cache by itself didn't fix. [ed. note: dwillis210 last edited this post 11 years, 8 months ago.]