We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 98 Posts
    I am looking at migrating an existing site from Evo to Revolution and I see an option to the 1 click install via Cpanel and I wondered if there are any draw backs using this, I read something about getting locked out of the site because cpanel has not given super admin access or something like that.

In the past I have just uploaded via ftp then pointed the browser at the set up file and followed the prompts which is what I am tempted to do this time as all I think I will gain is the 20 mins or whatever it takes to upload the package so was just after any thoughts.

Many thanks

Ian
      • 24,544 Posts
      Check out the installation method here: http://bobsguides.com/modx-upgrade-faq.html. It will be a lot faster and more reliable than FTP-ing the files individually.

I'm not sure what to advise on the Scriptaculous install. I have seen some complaints here, but I imagine the people who have no trouble don't post about their success. Personally, I'd do the install myself. That way, I'm confident that I know exactly what's been done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 98 Posts
        Thanks Bob

Yes I think I will ftp everything in the normal way, my plan is to install Revo fresh and just copy and paste all the templates.snippets and stuff with the new markup, I have converted everything I need to change on my testing server using Revo so hopefully most of the hard work has been done its just all the installing stuff then recreating the pages I guess lots of copy and pasting.

Thanks again

Ian [ed. note: ianman last edited this post 11 years, 8 months ago.]
        • You can't upgrade from MODX Evolution to Revolution directly, Softaculous shouldn't be providing you that option. I know it's bricked a few sites for some of our clients, so DON'T TRY IT!

If you want to upgrade from Evolution to Revolution you should follow the published methods (usually involving provisioner or manual database editing.
            Patrick | Server Wrangler
            About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
            • 98 Posts
            No worries I am not trying to upgrade,
            I have converted most of the site locally to Revo it was just an idea to speed up the new install before I started converting the new site.

It is nearly done but because I have many links hidden around pointing to the old pages I have the time consuming job of hunting them all done and updating to the new url of the updated page that is my biggest headache and of course finding a few new gallery bits which will take the place of easy gallery however so far so good its getting there its just a case of me finding the time.

Many thanks

Ian