We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 572 Posts
    Hi,

where can the default author username of 'admin' be changed?

Thanks

J
      www.9thwave.co.uk
         WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
    • The new Articles update actually handles this with new choices of author (THANK YOU Splittingred!)

But, you'll need to create a user with the name you want to use first. Grab the latest update to the Articles package and the choice dropdown will show in create and edit articles.

The admin username can be changed in "Manage Users" under "Security" in the manager menu. This is also where you can add a new username. Make sure the username field contains the full name you wish Articles to display as it only pulls out the username, and not the first and last name contained in the user record.
        Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
        "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
        Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
        • 24,544 Posts
        And if you change the username from 'admin' to something else, don't forget to use the new username when you log in.

Frogabog, is there an option to use fullname in the new Articles? That would be much more secure than having the login username of a user who can create documents on all your public Articles posts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html [ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 11 years, 8 months ago.]
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 572 Posts
          Thanks for letting me know, that was good timing.
          After some testing i can only get the username drop down options with the main admin account. It also doesn't add the chosen username to the articles front-end pages if it's simply selected.
          I also only get the drop down option when logged in as admin (super user) I just get the number '1' with no drop down options when i log in as an Editor.
          Assume some permissions i need to activate?
            www.9thwave.co.uk
               WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
            • 24,544 Posts
            Could be. I'm afraid I don't know what the appropriate permissions would be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 1,078 Posts
              What about just deleting the call for the user name in the template? Or will that have some affect on how the information is stored in the database?
                • 483 Posts
                As an alternative to changing the username, you could adjust the latestPosts chunk to use the full name instead. It uses the "createdby" or "publishedby" fields for a typical resource, which is just a foreign key to a userid. You can remove it from the template and it simply won't show. It won't affect the storage in the least.
                  Website: Extended Dialog Development Blog: on Extended Dialog
                  Add-ons: AJAX Revolution, RO.IDEs Editor & Framework (in works) Utilities: Plugin Compatibility List
                  Tutorials: Create Cross-Context Resources, Cross-Context AJAX Login, Template-Based Actions, Remove Extensions from URLs

Failure is just another word for saying you didn't want to try. "It can't be done" means "I don't know how".
                  • 372 Posts
                  Hi,

I got the same problem when i start using Articles :

The field used to know who write the article was the login field and i think that was really bad for the security of the website.
                  I prefer to use fullname instead of login for many reason and don't want to create another user just for the article writer.

So i just change this in the TPL (mine is custom TPL)

<a href="[[~[[*id]]]]author/[[+createdby:userinfo=`fullname`]]">[[+createdby:userinfo=`fullname`]]</a>

I hope it help or will help ;-)