We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I have a context called 'secure'.

When an anonymous user hits certain restricted resources in the 'web' context, they are redirected to a particular resource on 'secure'. This resource is protected by Shibboleth authentication, so they are first prompted to log in via Shibboleth before MODX even serves the resource. Once they've done that, the 'secure' resource fires a snippet runs which does the following:

• logs them in as user #35, a user who has access to lots of restricted resources in the 'web' context
    • uses 'addSessionContext' to add a session context for the 'web' context
    • [li]redirects them back to whatever resource in the 'web' context they were originally trying to access - they should now have sufficient permissions to view it.

My code looks like this:
    $uid =  $modx->user->get('id');
    if ($uid == 35) {
      if ($modx->checkSession('web')) {  
      }
      else {
        $modx->user->addSessionContext('web');
      }
    }
    if ($uid == 0) {
     // code that logs in the anonymous user as user #35';
    }

That's the code that I'm calling in an uncached snippet in my resource on the 'secure' context. They first have to do the Shibboleth authentication, then they get the resource, which fires the code above and then redirects them back to the original resource they requested.

This is working exactly the way I want it to... most of the time.

However, for some users, the code runs but the 'web' session doesn't seem to stick. The code runs, they get redirected back to a restricted page on the 'web' context *and can view it*. But when they click on a link to another restricted page, they get the unauthorized page again. They click the link, hit the 'secure' page again (instantaneously, because the Shibboleth requirements are already satisfied), the code fires again (the 'web' session context is added, again), and they get redirected the page they wanted. For these unlucky users, the effect is that every page they request on the site, they have to see the unauthorized message & click on the link before getting the content. Every. Single. Time.

I have no idea what these unlucky users may have in common. I don't think it is an issue with a certain browser. I'm wondering if it may be some sort of caching condition?

I'm hoping someone can see something obvious that I'm not doing quite right.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
      • 5 Posts
      hy, i have a similar problem.
      have you found a solution to this problem?
        • 24,544 Posts
        Have you tried logging the user in to both the secure and web (again) contexts on the secure page? It shouldn't matter, but I can't think of anything else.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • I ended up paying for some support on this problem. My code works great now, and looks like this:
          if ($uid == 35) {
              if ($modx->checkSession('web')) {
              }
              else {
                  $c = array(
                      'login_context' => 'web',
                      'add_contexts' => '',
                      'username' => $user,
                      'password' => $pass
                  );
                  $result = $modx->runProcessor('security/login',$c);
              }
          }

I supposed it could also re-log the user into the secure context via the add_contexts option, but I have no need for that in my application.

At any rate, I've had no problems losing the web context session since running with the code above. Hope this helps.
            • 24,544 Posts
            That's interesting, because your original code looks pretty much like what's in that processor, unless this line is making the difference:

$_SESSION['modx.' . $loginContext . '.session.cookie.lifetime']= 0;
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting