We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 172 Posts
    This post is to announce ClipperCMS. ClipperCMS is a fork of MODx Evolution 1.0.6.

Why fork MODx Evolution?

MODx Evolution is an excellent CMS, and the result of many years work by the MODx team, the Etomite team, and many other community contributors.

It is very stable and secure and has a well earned reputation for flexibility. However the MODx team are now developing other CMSs (MODx Revolution and MODx 3) and are concentrating on these. That is their right, and although we are not anticipating using these CMSs ourselves, we wish them every success.

It has been suggested by the MODx team that the community appoint a 'gatekeeper' to liase with the MODx team and coordinate code submissions from the community to MODx Evolution. Whilst we agree that the appointment of a 'gatekeeper' is one possible way to preserve the robustness and security of the codebase, we feel that any development of the codebase should be continued by a group that are independent of MODx, and the 'gatekeeper' (if appointed) should be also independent of MODx.

We have no objections to engaging with and discussing this with the MODx team, if they so wish, but it is a fundamental view of ours that ClipperCMS should be independent of MODx.

Who will develop the code?

This project is in an embryonic stage. Keen contributors are encouraged. The repo is currently at https://github.com/ClipperCMS/ClipperCMS. Branch 1.1.develop is the main development branch.

Code must be documented, both via comments within the code, and if it is a substantial new piece of code we may expect more comprehensive documentation suitable for end users.

Pull requests should each address one and only issue per pull request. All commits should be clearly described in English. Given the international nature of the existing community, there could be a highly significant role for technical translators.

Before embarking on work, please note that all code submissions are subject to review. We will not automatically include any submission. You may wish to contact us first for a provisional response as to whether the feature you wish to work on is one that should be admitted to the core.

Those who contribute significant code and show a long term commitment to the project will be considered for the core team. The core team is also in an embryonic stage. It is too early to give a definitive description of any organisational structure, but we are aiming for an efficient team with a common ethos that matches the existing nature of the codebase. We are aiming to be genuinely democratic and we do not wish to have a dictator, benevolent or otherwise.

What do we want to do with the codebase?

We do not want to end up with a bloated system.

We will only add new features where a clear demand can be shown, and anything other than core changes would be inefficient or cumbersome. Such new features may well inevitably increase the size of the codebase but our priority is a lean system.

We do not want to break backwards compatibility. We wish to keep the manager recognisable to existing users. Whilst we may well add features, we do not wish to force developers to learn a new templating system or API.

For the same reason we do not want to remove features from the core. Removing features does not necessarily reduce server load significantly if at all, significantly risks breaking backwards compatibility and can increase the workload involved in site upgrades.

Whilst much existing core code has scope for improvement, we do not wish to scrap the whole thing and start again. The current code base is robust and secure and we do not wish to jeapordise that. We also acknowledge that especially in collaborative projects OOP has advantages and as such new code will encouraged to be OO; however we will not be scrapping and rewriting existing good code just to gain an 'OOP' label.

Robustness and security will take priority over features. Contributors will need to provide evidence that the code has been thoroughly tested or to liase with testers and reviewers. For this reason testers and reviewers are sought and we wish to build up an ethos where testers are regarded as being as vital and important members of the core team as developers.

In summary we wish to continue with the existing robust and lightweight CMS that existing users will recognise and be able to seamlessly migrate to.

Are there any other ideas for forking Evolution?

In short, yes.

There is at least one other group currently discussing a fork of MODx Evolution. We were members of that group but left due to doubts as to the direction it was going in. If it succeeds in producing a fork then it is likely to be quite different from the existing codebase, and as such, and as with the MODx team, we wish them all the best.

In addition the Japanese community has developed many clever ideas for enhancing the codebase, and we have spent a significant amount of time looking at this, but we have not yet seen evidence that these have been documented and tested sufficiently to consider them for use on any site on a publicly accessible server. However, subject to the ethos of wanting to keep the codebase lean, and requiring documentation and testing, we are open to ideas from this direction.

We have also seen from few individuals a wish to have a 'MODx lite' (their description) which would be MODx Evolution with many features removed. We do not wish to do this for the reasons stated above, and feel that the aims of efficiency are not going to be effectively furthered by this.

As far as we are aware we are the only group wishing to develop the existing codebase and CMS and keeping it recognisable to existing users.

What will be in 1.1?

We are keeping to the version numbering you will be used to. As such the first release of ClipperCMS will be 1.1.

Most of the changes for 1.1 will be limited to bug fixes and security enhancements.

What will be in the roadmap?

A number of features have been suggested such as multilingual sites fully backwards compatible with existing code, versioning and support for RDBMS other than MySQL. None of these are set in stone as yet and suggestions, especially if they are backed up by reasoning and/or evidence, are welcome.
    • Kudos for the effort, communication and planning—it sounds very much in line with how we pictured Evo going forward being led and managed by the community. Looking forward to having a conversation at your convenience.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 19 Posts
        Hi
        are there any news on ClipperCMS?

Thanks
        • I believe any news on Clipper would be hosted on their GitHub Project: https://github.com/ClipperCMS/ClipperCMS
            Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
            • 29 Posts
            I looked at the ClipperCMS website. It looks very interesting. Especially the updates regarding PHP5.4 support and the salted password hashes are things I missed in Evo.

I wonder if the latest security update of Evo 1.08 will be added to the next release of ClipperCMS.

Hopefully the ClipperCMS project will find a lot of support and develops to a well accepted successor of Evo. Right now, I have to monitor how the community around ClipperCMS is growing, before I decide to use it for client websites - especially regarding security updates.
              • 589 Posts
              Quote from: holgermeier at Feb 02, 2013, 10:03 PM
              I wonder if the latest security update of Evo 1.08 will be added to the next release of ClipperCMS.

I think its already in, but not yet "released":
              https://github.com/ClipperCMS/ClipperCMS/commit/23cd82faf338e9b7e593958ed1c8961a931b7d93
                • 172 Posts
                Quote from: holgermeier at Feb 02, 2013, 10:03 PM
                Right now, I have to monitor how the community around ClipperCMS is growing, before I decide to use it for client websites - especially regarding security updates.

The latest security update as seen in MODx 1.0.8 (Jan 8th 2013) was included in ClipperCMS on December 3rd 2012. The issue was discovered and fixed by members of the Clipper community, and also reported to MODx.

I think its already in, but not yet "released":
                https://github.com/ClipperCMS/ClipperCMS/commit/23cd82faf338e9b7e593958ed1c8961a931b7d93

It's a different - much earlier - commit.

Any known security issues of this level of severity would result in a fix being issued as soon as possible, even if affecting only development releases - as occured in early December, prior to any stable release of ClipperCMS existing (1.1.rc is dated Dec 21st 2012).

-- Tim.
                [ed. note: TimGS last edited this post 11 years, 2 months ago.]
                  • 589 Posts
                  Quote from: TimGS at Feb 07, 2013, 12:30 PM
                  It's a different - much earlier - commit.
                  Any known security issues of this level of severity would result in a fix being issued as soon as possible, even if affecting only development releases - as occured in early December, prior to any stable release of ClipperCMS existing (1.1.rc is dated Dec 21st 2012).

I stand corrected, plugin version confused me there for a moment.
                    • 165 Posts
                    More than 1000 views and only 8 replies ? In the vibrant days of Evo it was always a slogan that with modx you can make websites "your way" instead of the cms way. However, making websites "your way" disappeared with Revo. Of course, Professional coders and experienced modx'ers will disagree with this. But how would a newbie choose between Revo and Drupal ? Both are almost the same in complexity, rules and with a long learning curve. Now that the team has put limited support on Evo I see threads are getting closed and Evo getting forked and scattered over Elegant Mind, Clipper CMS, Evo Custom, and the japanese community. I find it strange that Evo, such a fine cms eventually will fade away. But I guess that's the way it sometimes goes.
                    • Revo is wonderful. However, it is complicated.
                      The structure of Revo is very simple. But, the output log and permission settings are very complicated.

I am a developer. I like the PHP.
                      I can understand jQuery.
                      But, I am weak in ExtJS and Smarty.

My hope is "MODX3".