We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Hey modx people,

I am currently installing modx 2.2.4 on a kind of secure server. It meets the official requirements but still has some severe issues:

- package manager does only work with local packages, as it can't connect to external websites. but I can still put the zips into /core/packages via vpn. thats ok.
    - each screen that loads different components (like "security/users -> new user", edit a template, edit a resource etc.) does not work. The little funny "loading" circle sticks to the screen, the gray overlay does not disappear. still, the resources and templates are kind of editable via "quick edit" or whatever that is in english. rightclick on the resource... you know what I mean.

What could it be that prevents a page from loading completely?

Best regards,

Guido
    • When I close the overlay window from the "quick edit" option, a grey square remains over the page (size of the former "quick edit" dialogue).
      • some of the functions are disabled on this server. Is anyone of these nessesary to run modx? I could talk to the hoster to reactivate them.

system, shell_exec, passthru, escapeshellcmd, proc_open, proc_nice, ini_restore, popen, openlog, pcntl_exec, pcntl_fork
        • Here is how it looks like. Its the same for i.e. "security -> users". "system settings" is working.
          • I notice it's not displaying the version in the top left of the screen. Did setup throw any issues?

None of those disabled functions look like something that is in use in MODX to me. I think PhpThumb may be using "system" though.

If the loading box doesn't go away, it usually means the js is throwing an uncatched error somewhere. Open up firebug and look in the console for errors, improperly loaded files/resources on the Net/Network tab etc.

And of course check the error log (core/cache/logs/error.log if the interface wont work) and the server error log.
              Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • Setup had no problems.

Error log says nothing (at least has no new entries when I reload the manager).

Server error log says, it cant open some of the managers files, but I cant tell which. I reuploaded all of them and the problem still exists. And I am waiting for the server guys answers.

I already turned off and on the js compression and grouping (as there is mentioned something about the security patch).

Time to call the server guy... again...
              • I solved it.

I realized, that the "plugins" folder in the elements tree was empty. So I reinstalled modx after setting all "critical" folders from 755 to 777 (core/cache + export + packages etc.)

Maybe the core team should work on the installer, as no single error showed up during the first installation.

I am very glad it works now!