We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    I've just moved my site over to the live server which happens to be fasthosts and have noticed the error page isn't rendering when typing a bogus url into the address bar.

It seems to output the second half of the source code as text rather than render the full page. I had a google around and it seems to be a problem specific to fasthosts. This would appear the case as the error page renders fine on our testing server.

The page also displays fine when viewing it from the manager on it's current url.

Has anybody else experienced this issue and managed to find a solution to the issue? I've got in contact with Fasthosts but don't think they'll be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    • What is executing on your error_page Resource?
        • 6 Posts
        Nothing out of the ordinary.

The page renders fine, without any issues, if you click on view from the manager or type in the url (eg. www.domain.com./page-not-found). But if you go to www.domain.com/this-should-fail for example it seems to render out the second half of the html as text to the browser instead of the actual page.
        • Very odd. What web server; is it Apache? Platform; Linux, Windows?
            • 6 Posts
            It's a generic fasthosts standard business package running on Linux.

I've narrowed it down to essentially an issue with it being on fasthosts as the same site on a heart platform runs fine and as expected with 404 pages.

Just wondered if anybody else had experienced the same issue and if they had a fix.

Some people have experienced something similar with WordPress on fasthosts and may have something to do with php sending the 404 error and generating the page?
            • It sounds like they have a less than standard configuration. Could you share the php info for the hosting, see if that might explain the unusual behavior?

Thanks
                Patrick | Server Wrangler
                About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                • 6 Posts
                Hi, I've attached the phpinfo for the site in question...

It's a html file renamed as a txt. Just rename back to .html to view.
                • Everything seams in order except for magic_quotes_gpc being turned on, which can cause problems.

Could you share the htaccess file you are using?
                    Patrick | Server Wrangler
                    About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                    • 6 Posts
                    There's nothing going on in the htaccess that wasn't on the testing server where the 404 page was rendering fine though.

That's the strange thing. It works completely as expected on our testing server hosted by heart, just not on the fasthosts server.
                      • 2 Posts
                      Put in file .htaccess this code:

SetEnv force-response-1.0 1
                      SetEnv downgrade-1.0 1

This problem is typical for servers: Apache Server + nginx.

Please, write about this problem for developers!

Article on Russian with this problem on other CMS: http://habrahabr.ru/post/135662/

MODx have this error in code too...

Sorry, my English is bad... [ed. note: smallexpert last edited this post 11 years, 10 months ago.]