We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 483 Posts
    Edit: Post has been modified to consolidate information regarding the situation.

I have several subdomains set up as contexts in my ModX Revo 2.2 install. When I log in to my primary domain, I would like it to share the session with my subdomains. I am using the Login addon. This post, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9761447/modx-revolution-doesnt-switch-context, indicates that I must check for "load" permission. According to Login and http://forums.modx.com/index.php/topic,64442.msg364741.html, I have made sure of the following:

• My Login uses the &contexts property for all subdomains
    • I have set session_cookie_domain to .mydomainname.tld. I have also tried *.mydomainname.tld. Every time I change the variable, I lose access to the manager and it is difficult to get it back. It has now been reset back to default.
    • I have set up my administrators user group to have full permissions (including load) on all contexts.
    • I have verified that anonymous users have access of 9999 (with load only) to all contexts.
    • I have also tried making sure that the context minimum role is 9999. When this did not work, I tried with minimum role of 0. Neither achieved any positive results.

Now, to be clear: I am using Login as the indicator of the sharing as the new contexts have no content. However, when I log in to the primary domain, and move to a subdomain, Login is still showing the standard Login screen on the subdomain. On the primary domain, it is showing that I am logged in.

Additional Information: I'm not sure if this is important, but my primary domain is not www.mydomainname.tld. It is actually mydomainname.tld. In my experience, this has never changed the behavior of ModX, but could it be affecting the cookie (i.e. why session_cookie_domain does not work properly)?

It is absolutely necessary that the session be shared. The above solutions have worked for others. Am I missing something?

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

[ed. note: fuzzicallogic last edited this post 11 years, 10 months ago.]
      Website: Extended Dialog Development Blog: on Extended Dialog
      Add-ons: AJAX Revolution, RO.IDEs Editor & Framework (in works) Utilities: Plugin Compatibility List
      Tutorials: Create Cross-Context Resources, Cross-Context AJAX Login, Template-Based Actions, Remove Extensions from URLs

Failure is just another word for saying you didn't want to try. "It can't be done" means "I don't know how".
    • You MUST have session_cookie_domain set to .mydomain.tld (with the . prefix). This is the ONLY way your browser will be allowed to share it's session cookie with different sub-domains. When you change this, you will need to clear ALL your browser cookies for the domain (and it's sub-domains) in question.
        • 483 Posts
        Alright. Despite the issues I experienced last time, I have set the session_cookie_domain to .mydomainname.tld. No issues with access this time. *doing the happy dance*

However, this still does not share the session between the contexts. *not as happy a dance as I would like* What else might I be missing? Or is there something the I might have changed in order to affect this?

Other steps I have made to solve this issue:

• Remember Me is implemented and works, but only on primary domain.

Some potential ideas:

• Do I need a snippet or plugin? If so, I have no idea where to start.
        • To move between contexts, I am using Weblinks so that I may utilize Wayfinder. Should I use something else?
        • As stated previously, my .htaccess has my primary domain set to mydomainname.tld and not www.mydomainname.tld. Do I need to set this to the latter? (I would prefer not to)

I can't think of anything else, but those are some immediate thoughts at the moment. Thanks again! [ed. note: fuzzicallogic last edited this post 11 years, 10 months ago.]
          Add-ons: AJAX Revolution, RO.IDEs Editor & Framework (in works) Utilities: Plugin Compatibility List
          Tutorials: Create Cross-Context Resources, Cross-Context AJAX Login, Template-Based Actions, Remove Extensions from URLs

Failure is just another word for saying you didn't want to try. "It can't be done" means "I don't know how".
        • Quote from: fuzzicallogic at Jun 25, 2012, 05:25 PM
          However, this still does not share the session between the contexts. *not as happy a dance as I would like* What else might I be missing? Or is there something the I might have changed in order to affect this?
          How are you switching Contexts and how are they configured? Are you using a Plugin for this, or a custom index.php or different virtual hosts for each subdomain?
          • discuss.answer
            • 483 Posts
            I'm not using any plugin or snippet. (see post above) I just have a WebLink on my primary domain to link to my subdomain. I just assumed that going to the subdomain would check for the cookie. Going to the primary domain seems to work that way. (I'm now guessing I was wrong?)

The subdomains are set up like through my provider. I assume it is Virtual Hosts because that is the tutorial I used on the ModX site. Basically I name the subdomain, create the directory, point it to the new directory. I have in each directory the index.php, core.config.php and an .htaccess. They point to my single install of ModX Revo 2.2.4. The relevant statement $modx->initialize('context') was changed appropriately.
            Additional Information:, I am using 1and1 Shared Hosting with a Linux for my domains.

Update
            After clearing the cache in all of my browsers: Using Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome, I have verified that the cookie is created. It is of the form [email protected]. [ed. note: fuzzicallogic last edited this post 11 years, 10 months ago.]

• discuss.answer
              • 483 Posts
              Awesome! I figured it out!! So, everything was set up correctly (mostly). For my Login snippet, however, &contexts cannot have any spaces in the contexts.

Example:

(i.e. &contexts=`context1, context2, context3` does not work).

Solution:

Removed the spaces and it all worked great! Change code to: &contexts=`context1,context2,context3`

Final Question:

Apparently, the Login snippet does not trim white space from the contexts property. Should this be labeled a bug? Or is this intended functionality?

• Quote from: fuzzicallogic at Jun 25, 2012, 08:26 PM

Apparently, the Login snippet does not trim white space from the contexts property. Should this be labeled a bug? Or is this intended functionality?
                It's not intended functionality, simply an oversight. You can report it here so it gets resolved and not forgotten about.