We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 26 Posts
    When adding a user to the MODX CMS, I add the user to an editor group.

I try testing the account (by logging in on another browser with the new user login and pass) and I can not login. The is no error message on the /manager/ page.

When I give the new user "Sudo" permissions, I can login to the CMS.

Very strange.

This question has been answered by alanhorvath. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 46 Posts
      Wow. Thank you so much for posting this! I was having the same problem ... now, when I added user as "sudo" user (as well as "active" user), I can finally get success on login.
        Alan
        --------------------------------------------------------
        MODX Revolution 2.2.2-pl
        • 24,544 Posts
        If the user is in another user group (not Administrator), you need to create a Context Access ACL entry for that user group with a context of mgr and a policy that allows logging in to the Manager so the user can log in. Then the user shouldn't need to be a sudo user to log in.

You'll also have to create a Context Access ACL entry for the group with a context of 'web' so the user can see resources in the web Context after logging in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 119 Posts
          Hi!
          I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to follow your instructions, Bob, but I'm new to ACL in MODx and clearly not understanding something because it's not working.

I have a user that I have put in a group I created called Site User. Here's a screen cap of the contexts:

Resource Group, Element Category and Media Source access are all empty.

What am I missing?
          Thanks!
            • 24,544 Posts
            Did you flush permissions and flush all sessions (on the Security Menu) before testing? The ResourceEditor Policy should allow logging in (unless you've modified its permissions).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 119 Posts
              It turns out that the role needed to be assigned to both the user and the user group. I had only assigned it to the user group.
              • You'll probably want to set a less permissive user role than super user for your content editors. The new role will likely have to be created. You'll find that there's going to be a little more work to be done with permissions unless you plan to give the content editors full access to the whole manager.

In all cases however, users must have a user group and role assigned or they won't be able to log in. It may seem a little odd that MODX doesn't automatically assign a user group and role to new users, but MODX assumes very little out of the box. There is only one user group available initially, which is Administrator. MODX assumes only that the administrator will set up user groups aside from the administrator, and it will not assign the Administrator group to new users by default because it's not safe.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
                  "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
                  Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
                  • 119 Posts
                  Yeah, I was just trying to get it to work at all when I took that screen shot. I have created a role called Publisher that I'm using now that it's working.