We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 14 Posts
    I just wanted to say thanks to the AjaxSearch author who decided to change the names of the most used parameters of AjaxSearch. And therefore killed any call to it after you upgrade to 1.9.x.

And don't forget that by migrating Modx to 1.0.6 you will get AjaxSearch 1.9.2… Awesome!
    And have to spend time changing these parameters manually…

Where am I supposed to send my invoice for this extra work?

If you don't to get an idea of the mess it resulted, just google this :
    "AjaxSearch error: AS_showForm parameter has been renamed showInputForm. Read ajaxSearch_version_192.txt file."

And you will get at least two result pages of broken AjaxSearch…
      • 1,717 Posts
      I just wanted to say thanks to the AjaxSearch author who decided to change the names of the most used parameters of AjaxSearch. And therefore killed any call to it after you upgrade to 1.9.x.
      The changes have been done with the release 1.9.0 (18th may 2010). Two years before!
      If you await two years to upgrade and maintain your site, I understand that it could be painful.

And don't forget that by migrating Modx to 1.0.6 you will get AjaxSearch 1.9.2… Awesome!
      Yes, for free. But you are not obliged to use it. Some alternative solutions exist.

And have to spend time changing these parameters manually…
      How long does it take to you to do this ? 10 mn ? If your site has been correctly built, the ajaxSearch snippet calls are inside a chunk or a template.
      From my side, I spent time during more than 4 years, for developing this addon and for helping people to use it.

Where am I supposed to send my invoice for this extra work?
      May be you can first make a donation for using MODx and ajaxSearch.
      If you imagine that you can use an addon during two years and then migrate a site without doing something, I suggest you to not work with an open source cms.
      Or take a professional service support to help you.

If you don't to get an idea of the mess it resulted, just google this :
      "AjaxSearch error: AS_showForm parameter has been renamed showInputForm. Read ajaxSearch_version_192.txt file."
      And you will get at least two result pages of broken AjaxSearch…

What is incredible is that some people imagine that a site could be migrated without efforts and without doing some non regression tests.
      • Where am I supposed to send my invoice for this extra work?
        I presume that you did, or will, send an invoice for migrating/upgrading the site? Checking for compatibility and fixing any compatibility errors is part of any migrating/upgrading process. What do you do if your hosting upgrades your PHP and MySQL, causing deprecation and incompatibility errors in your sites, MODx or not?

When upgrading, it is always possible to NOT update the snippets; just don't upload their files and clear their checkboxes in the upgrade options page. Of course, then you will quite likely end up with the older version of a snippet whose security vulnerabilities are the reason why you upgraded in the first place.
          Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
          Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
          Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org