We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 123 Posts
    Another thread for the same issue - maybe this one won't go dead. My MODx Revo site was moved by my hosting company to OnApp Xen virtual server. Since then it's been almost impossible to do anything in Manager because I keep losing permission. I can somewhat survive in IE9 while editing resources if I keep clearing the cache in IE9. But I can't make any system changes at all. In Firefox I have no permissions period once I log in (dimmed out resource pages - no ability to edit anything). Can anyone shed some light on this?
      • 387 Posts
      whistlemaker Reply #2, 12 years ago
      Just so you know: I thought about replying in that other 'dead' thread but your answer to someone who tried to help made me want to 'stay away'

Since I've started I will state what seems obvious - something in the move was messed up. Troubleshooting at a distance is always hard, and since you didn't do the move getting info about what was or wasn't done is probably going to be more difficult making the troubleshooting task even harder.

If it was me I would probably not try to troubleshoot it any more - I'm assuming you have already tried, checking out various config files etc. So if it was me ...
      I would make a backup of:
      1. the site database (you and or your host probably already have one or more)
      2. assets files (your assets folder - or whatever you have called it)
      3. the config files (mostly to have the dbase connection info
      4. the .htaccess file if it has been customized
      Then I would put up a site unavailable page (with a 503).
      Next drop all the tables in the database.
      Do a complete fresh install - that means deleting all the files, including the config files, - probably OK to leave the assets directory and files in it. Run the install and make sure it works (don't delete the setup folder - you will need it), download and install any extras you use - recheck everything works. If the assets folder was deleted restore it (upload it). Now drop all the database tables and restore with your backup. Run setup again as a update. Check it all works, sit back relax and enjoy life.

Don't forget YMMV - you are not me, and so the best thing for you to do may be different, I am not suggesting that you do what I outlined above, I am only saying it is what I would do based on having fewer problems with fresh installs than moves, or updates and that a fresh install is probably quicker than advanced troubleshooting.
        • 123 Posts
        Yea, I know. It was dead before I wrote that last post. I'd been through so many forum threads all over the Internet and most go no where because there are questions or comments that just get off track. I guess I was frustrated.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot. I wish I knew more about MODx security and sessions handling.
          • 24,544 Posts
          I would not give up quite that easily, though it's not a bad idea.

Is the permission issue with MODX or the host's server?

Also, see if anything here helps: http://bobsguides.com/modx-troubleshooting.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 123 Posts
            I won't. I saw your reply to my original thread. As always, you get right to the heart of the matter. I'm going to go through the references you gave me. It will probably take me a while. I'm not too savvy on all this, but I get the sessions thing now.

The permission issue is with MODx. I can edit resources if I keep clearing the IE9 cache. I can't get to system settings at all. I'm going to try changing where sessions are stored per the 2-year-old thread you pointed me to. I do apologize to AMDBuilder - I realize now maybe he (she) was suggesting that I do need to change where the sessions are stored.

You've never steered me wrong before, BobRay, so I'm off to study the material you pointed me to.

I'm using MODx version 2.2.1
              • 123 Posts
              Quote from: BobRay at May 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
              I would not give up quite that easily, though it's not a bad idea.

Is the permission issue with MODX or the host's server?

Also, see if anything here helps: http://bobsguides.com/modx-troubleshooting.html

I'm going to try the troubleshooting steps next. But first I'm trying to figure out why sessions are not being stored in the new sessions folder I created. I took the advice from the thread you steered me to and updated my .htaccess file accordingly. But I see no evidence that sessions are being stored to that new location. All of my problems still exist in Manager.